Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bowled Over by Love

Another game I played as a child, that has also been passed onto my kids is “Darling!” Anytime the moment strikes me during the day, I hold out my arms and say “Darling!” to one of the babies and usually they come running from wherever they are, and give me a big hug, sometimes followed by a kiss. They have really taken to this game, and now initiate it themselves, except when they say it, it’s more like” Daw-eeee!” Sometimes they want to play it over and over. We’ll hug, they’ll take a few steps back, and run to me again. It a great game.

This morning, I walked into the living room where they were all playing happily. I crouched to their level, and to no one in particular, said the magic word. Alex and Ruby both started charging. Ruby made it first, with her arms wrapping tightly around my neck. Alex stalled a little, kind of looking like he lost his chance, until I put my arm out to show him there was room for him too, which he accepted, and hugged me too. Then seconds later, before I really even knew what was happening, Bennett barreled into the middle of the cluster of babies with a huge smile on his face. He was not going to miss out on the Darling action this morning. My teetering tiptoes gave way, and we were all laughing, jumbled up on the floor as if Bennett was a bowling ball and we were the pins. Sometimes it really feels like there isn’t enough of me to go around, but we make it work in our own way, even if it means I get beat up a little bit. A very small sacrifice, in my opinion.

7 comments:

Woods said...

I absolutely love reading your blog!! You make me want to be a better mom! I wish I could be with you and play with those sweet babies!

Janice Graham said...

Emily, you write the sweetest, cutest things.

Darling!

Unknown said...

Very sweet.

I suppose that's one of the best perks to having triplets...triple the love to go around!!

Unknown said...

molly and i play this game too. must be a barrett family tradition because i grew up with it. so sweet.

Michelle and Cisco said...

I miss being there already!! I miss those three little darlings!

melody said...

Oh yes, this sounds like a familiar situation in my home. And since Gabe has the force of two triplets combined, I get bowled over even with only two!

Cami said...

Cute. Actually, this happens to ME sometimes too. My big boys and crazy girl all on top of me is quite the ordeal.