Friday, May 13, 2011

Reminded

I took the babies to the grocery store today. I was just picking up a few things, which is good because it all had to fit in the basket underneath my stroller (Penny and Elise are in Utah partying with the fam, so we don’t have the luxury of using the cart she is pushing). I was mostly out to kill time anyway. I was having one of those days. You know what I’m talking about. The nap was shorter than I had hoped, my eyes were having a hard time staying open, the babies seemed a bit more whiny than usual, and as I was picking the macaroni and cheese off the floor during lunch, more food was thrown on or around me. I was feeling a bit cabin fever-ish, so I thought, as tired as I felt, I better get out of the house before I lost my temper. . .again.

So as we were leisurely strolling around, we got the usual smiles, and comments (“Triplets?!”, “You have got your hands full!”, “Now, I need one those!” (referring to the stroller) ,”What a blessing.” and the like.), when a was tall, nice looking, middle aged man saw us from down the aisle, and walked toward us. He commented on my “great contraption” (again, the stroller), and I gave my usual, “Yes, it’s very handy” type response, and was about to just keep strolling along. Then he asked if they were triplets, to which I, of course, said yes. He just looked at the babies and got quiet, and feeling like it was getting a little awkward I was about to say my usual “well, thank you. Have a good day.” when something told me to just wait and listen.  A moment later he told me that 18 years ago, he and his wife also had triplets. I knew right then there was more to the story, or else he would have been much more enthusiastic and excited as he spoke to fellow parent of triplets. We went onto say that they were born premature, and one had passed away shortly after she was born, and the two that lived both have Cerebral palsy. He told me a a lot of details about what had happened, and that they decided to deliver at 28 weeks because of complications. He then paused, and just looked at my babies as his eyes became teary, (and I must admit, so did mine). He perked back up a little and told about something he and a friend had come up with to transport all three around, and how cool it was. We talked a bit more about our kids, everyone’s names, and ages, and then I thanked him for sharing his story with me. I told him I was having a bit of a rough day managing the three, and hearing about what his family has gone through was what I needed in that moment to remember how I got to this point and all there is to be grateful for. I do remember this multiple times a day as I watch these sweet babies of mine , but sometimes my brain gets a little foggy amidst my frustration and little conversations with a stranger like this one can turn me right around.  He shook mind hand, said he was glad to meet me, and to tell my husband he was also happy for him. I wish we could’ve talked longer. I pray for that kind man and his strong family.

That was definitely one of those moments for me, when I realized I came to this place at this time for a reason. I needed perspective, and I got it at Wegmans, of all places. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Now, I’m off to get my refusing-to-sleep babies out of bed. I can’t wait to kiss their faces for the ten millionth time. It never gets old.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Made me teary eyed too. So glad the Lord sends those tender mercies. Thanks for sharing.

Lindsey said...

So glad that man shared his story. Thanks for passing it along! Feeling so grateful!