Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm thankful for water, and KC, and the turkey...

That was part of Jefferson's prayer at Thanksgiving and it keeps making me giggle when I think about it. It was nice low-key Thanksgiving at the Turpin's and I have to say it's always a relief when it is over even though we look forward to it so much. Cami gave a few details so I'll just add on to what she said. I already told about my unfortunate croissant experience, but the food was very delicious despite any imperfections. We had the regulars, including yummy cheese ball, ham asparagas wrap appetizers. We also added spiced, roasted acorn squash, fried onions, rosemary mashed potatoes, and everything else Cami has mentioned. I said before I liked to add a twist to old favorites, so instead of making plain pumpkin pie, I made pumpkin mascarpone tarts with a gingerbread crust and pistachio brittle. I had more gingerbread crust left, so I went ahead and made a pumpkin ice cream pie with the rest. The recipe will be in the sidebar very soon. If you've never made it, you will want to soon. It was a nice change, but still had the traditional flavors. We were stuffed until we couldn't eat another bite, after the three rounds of eating thoughout the day. We also watched Evan Almighty which was very entertaining. It was funny to see how the little boys fought over who got to sit by KC. But Jeffy also had to sit as far as possible from the strawberry pretzel jello since he didn't like strawberries. So he eventually sat in the spot that suited him. He all had a good laugh about that. We got home pretty early, and did a little cleaning, but mostly just wanted to fall into bed.



I had to wake up early for various appointments, and didn't feel quite right, and was pretty shaky, but knew I couldn't just skip out of work and my appointment, so I went anyway. But the time I got to work at about 8:30, I was feeling the nausea pretty bad, but thought it would pass and started taking baby pictures anyway. Not smart. I knew the only other photograpers were out of town, so my work ethic must have been stronger than the sick feeling, but it soon took over. I called KC to come pick me up and I was about to call and apologize to the new moms giving them an option of coming back another time. Even that seemed like a task big enough to make me heave. Soon enough they started coming making a line at the studio. I took the pictures, talking to them in a quiet and pretty trembly voice hoping they wouldn't expect anything even though I could feel the waves of nausea every second. There was a time that I said excuse me, with a smile, and ran to the bathroom thinking that was it. After a few moments it passed and I was able to finish the appointment, write a note to the next moms that were to arrive, and leave as soon as KC came. He was so sweet to be there for me so quickly, and boy did he come at the right time. Good thing I told him to bring bags for the car because that is precisely where I needed them. But I sure felt better for a while. I took an anti-nausea pill given to me at my last Utah flu episode. It took a while to kick in, but I slept, or was at least lying down the rest of the day. But I did feel better when I woke up and was able to carry on as normal today and even eat some leftovers. KC took wonderful care of me though it all, and I am just glad it wasn't on Thanksgiving day itself. I'm pretty sure it was due to some medication I was taking so, whew, it wasn't the food. Don't you love when holiday memories are mixed with sick memories.

Hooray, it is now Christmas time and the decorations are coming out today! If I get around to it, that is.

1 comment:

Cami said...

I'm so sorry about your sickies! I hate throwing up. It's the worst that you had to work during it. I hope you feel better now!

The food was GREAT! Thanks for the pics and stuff.