Thursday, November 01, 2007

What? November!?

I can't believe it. The year goes by so much faster as an adult. Last holiday season seems like yesterday. Well, I'm not complaining. Bring on Christmas is what I say. But before we do that I'd better blog our Halloween fun. We started celebrating this holiday a couple weeks ago with a party with our friends, so this week seemed a little anticlimactic, but we managed to be festive. Last Saturday our friends Ben and Nikki invited us to a How to Host a Murder party. We got our character descriptions in advance so we could look the part. I was a spoiled and stuck up perfume company heiress, and KC was a war bomber pilot,. The setting was on a train in the 1940s. There were three other couples filling the other parts. We had a wonderful dinner and met some great people. We had fun finding out who the murderer was and occasionally getting into our given characters and accents. I tried to do my hair in the 1940's style. Man, no wonder the styles have changed. It's pretty tricky. I had never been to this kind of party before, so it was quite entertaining.

During the week sometime I was browsing the channels for something Halloweenish to watch. I came across The Blair Witch Project on Fox (edited) and couldn't help but watch a few minutes. I remember the buzz this movie made when it came out and the closest I ever came to watching it was The Blair Thumb:



That is just a clip of the greatness. Thanks to Lili, we have learned about all these ridiculous yet hilarious parodies of movies (there are many Thumb movies), made with thumbs as the faces of the characters. Before I knew anything about the Blair Witch, I had seen and quoted the Blair Thumb for years. Seeing clips of the Blair Witch Project, which was supposed to be crazy scary when it came out, only made me laugh like crazy. The thumbs were spot on the actual characters. It didn't have time to watch it all, but I am really needing to go to Cami's so I can see it on her Clear Play. It was quite amusing.



I also made some Halloween cookies with my little baking buddy. He is quite an artist. I was happy to put the cutters to good use. We had a lot sugary fun.




To finish out the fun, We went downtown for dinner and a Capital Hauntings ghost walk. We picked up some previously ordered Ruben and Pastrami sandwiches at Old Ebbitt Grill, a local favorite. There you go Cami and Mel. They were so greasy, but so delicious. We ate on a bench by the street. Much better than sitting in a loud crowded restaurant. Then we went on our walking tour that started in McPherson Square, near the White house. A guide took the 65 of us that showed up on a short walk, but long tour (a little over 2 hours) around Lafayette Square. She animatedly told stories about ghosts and spirits that have been seen, felt, or smelled (she said sometimes that how you can tell they are present) and the stories that led to their deaths. There were stories of affairs, missing heads, piano music coming from houses with no pianos, and on. I'm not really a ghost believer, but it was still cool to hear about the stories about the people in that very spot so long ago. It was eerie to think that they lived and died right there. I
t made me think about the past and how there were horses and carriages right where I stood. It was amazing to hear a little history about the area, and get bonus ghost stories. We ended with the White House and heard about many sightings of Abraham Lincoln's ghost. I would recommend it to anyone. It seemed like a lot of people were on first dates. It was funny to hear a little of their conversations, talking about general likes and dislikes, majors, and a lot of awkward silences. I think I even witnessed a little first pda for one of the couples. It is a good place to hold hands. I think the guy planned that. Clever. It was such a beautiful night and I was happy that the kids trick-or-treating didn't have to cover up their cute costumes with bulky coats.


Anyway, I am happy to say that we made the most out of Halloween. At least compared to last year. Now we can at least start dusting off the Christmas stuff, right?

9 comments:

melody said...

Thanks for posting all the pictures! Your costume was perfect, and I think the hairstyle looks pretty accurate for the time period. Good work! Your Halloween festivities sound so fun. And I love that hat you were wearing.

Unknown said...

you guys looked like you had a blast. You and kc look like you have a fun group to do stuff with, that's awesome!
by the way em, my blog address changed to springerthree.blogspot

Matt said...

Great recap. Sounds like you guys had a fun Halloween. I wish we could have tricked and/or treated at your house.

Oh man. I'm cracking up at the Blair Thump clip. One small point of clarification I regretfully wish to raise here. It's very rare that I introduce something with lasting power of hilarity as Elise seems to have a talent for it. But I believe it was me that brought the Thumbs into the family. It would have been late 1998 or early 1999. I think I still have the original mpg file I got from friends at Studio, where I worked.

"I'm still glad it's not me. I don't want that...for me.." lol.

Lili and Jeff said...

Emily, you look so glam-o! What fun activities you guys are always doing! Maybe I should move back east, as there seems to be more things to do over there than over here!

Your Halloween plans are fun though! And of course included baking! I love how you observed all the first date-ers. That was cute.

Lili and Jeff said...

And Mattie... I have to clear some things up. I WILL give you credit for bringing the thumbs to our family, BUT the first time I ever saw thumb wars was in our hotel suite in Philadelphia when I was in 5th grade. Then when we got home, a little bit later, you brought over the CD which we watched on your computer... over... and over... and over... and over...

I don't know where this snot is coming from because I don't have a nose!

Woods said...

You look gorgeous in your pics! I love your hat and cute red coat also. You are so stinkin' cute!! Looks like you had way fun. Love ya

Sarah said...

Fun Halloween - I think we might host a murder dinner thing next year, seems really fun. That is a fun Halloween thing to do - haunted houses! ooooh.
PS - you looks so pretty in all your pictures!!!

Janice Graham said...

Your costumes turned out great. too bad your photo didn't show the high high heels. Did you tell how you had a deal with KC to find a costume under $20? Fun Halloween and ghost walk.

Amber said...

You guys always take advantage of the fun happenings in D.C. etc. Once at a cub scout pack meeting a guy told us about growing up in a house that was haunted. They always heard rocking chairs, pictures would fall down if you hung them in the wrong place etc. Funny stuff! And about Blair Thumb! That "half a body guy" part is the best! Something happened to Lili's copy so we haven't seen it in so long. Thanks for putting that clip on your blog!