Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm addicted

I hope it's not too embarrassing to do another post about junk food, but this was too good to go unblogged.

Our friends brought their electric popcorn popper to a game night a while ago, and KC couldn't stop raving about the fresh popcorn flavor. I didn't realize how fond of it he was. KC's sister Michelle also raves about it when made in her Whirly Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper. So a couple days ago on the way to the store, I just decided to slip into Bed Bath and Beyond and buy it on a whim. It also happened to be on sale. Bonus. We counted it as a late Valentines Day, early anniversary (next week-yay!) gift to justify this little indulgence. And I'm telling you, it was worth it. I'm hooked. No more microwave popcorn for us. We inhaled a huge bowl of it while watching the disaster that is American Idol, commenting how good it was (the popcorn, that is) after every couple of handfuls. We'll try to keep it healthy (since we'll be eating it a lot) by using olive oil and kosher salt for flavor since the fresh popcorn it truly good in and of itself, but we decided, just this first time, to try the butter flavoring packet it came with. Whoa. I seriously could've eaten a second bowl (though I'm glad I didn't-ugh). And after our teeth were full of kernels and our lips were raw from the salt with an empty bowl in front of us, I told KC we needed to round the experience out with one more thing. I pulled out a can of diet A&W Root beer from the fridge (we never have soda, but this has been sitting in the fridge forever after a party of some kind, and it seemed like just the right time use it to it's full potential), and we enjoyed washing down the salty goodness with the cold soda. Thank you Michelle for the excellent recommendation. We owe ya.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

mm popcorn love it! No matter how it is made love it! and low calories too!

Matt said...

That tears it. This is twice this week that someone enthusiastically recommended the WhirleyPop. /Me puts it on wish list. Maybe for a bday or other holiday coming up. St. Paddys day!

melody said...

Yes, I have heard people rave about it too. The Mittons made popcorn with theirs every Sunday night. I must try this.

Cami said...

Sounds delightful! I should try it.

Tracie Frost said...

Hi Emily - Thanks for the kind words you left on my blog. I loved being neighbors with you! So many people in Cheverly love you - you are definitely a part of life there!

BTW, when is KC's test? Weren't you waiting on that to try to get out west?

Michelle and Cisco said...

I'm so glad you got it!! This is our favorite treat and no need to feel guilty about it. It's funny that my dad got one for Christmas when we lived in Hawaii (20 years ago). That's probably why we're hooked.

stacia said...

i love this popper. my friends gave it to me for my b-day last year and yes, we are hooked! best popcorn ever!