Friday, February 20, 2009

Turn it up!

So, realizing the previous post was little heavy, and not that fun to read about for most, I thought I'd write something a little easier to chew on.

So I have a question. Are you ever in the car, or in the house by yourself (I know, I know, you Moms are all going to tell me that that's not a luxury for you as much as you'd like) listening to music, and all the sudden you just need to turn up the music really loud to distract you from your surroundings and thoughts for a moment? (Of course, I do love driving in complete silence now and then, but it doesn't happen as much.)Well, I find myself in that position quiet often, when alone with my thoughts. Usually at home, I read or watch tv or bake when I need some time out. But sometimes, I decide to put my headphones on, or am in the car, and I can't help but turn it up as loud as I can stand it, and just let it take me away. It's almost like a craving, or an uncontrollable desire to just get lost in the music. There are a few artists that are good for this sort of activity. I like Imogen Heap, The Shins, Rufus Wainwright, or even or Michael Buble, if that is my mood. But I've been craving some new stuff lately. And my new found escapes are Seal (video below), and Sarah Bareilles (wouldn't let me embed the video). I happened to hear Seal on TV once with David Foster talking about this new album, and got sucked in when he started singing. I also heard Sarah live on one of our local radio stations a couple days ago. She is awesome live, completely in tune, and I love that she can play the piano and sing so beautifully at the same time. And they both have a great bluesy, deep-soul kind of sound that I'm drawn to. I must need right now.

I realize these artists aren't new to any of you, but I sometimes get behind with the radio, or in the case of Seal, was too young to get into him when he was new. But when I heard these songs, I knew they, and the rest of the albums they were on, would be added to my list. I'm going to download the mp3 files very soon so I can put them, and any other gold mines I can find, on my Ipod. Anybody else have a song/album that really helps you just get away for a while?

2 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

Hey Em! Cool musics! I have a few suggestions for you to get into as well that always are a good distraction from the world around me.

First, Muse. Always muse. Especially Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Newborn. Well, most of their songs are great. Also, check out the song Inevitable by Anberlin here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuA3mDHEbTk . This one of Jeff and my songs. It has that great calming effect, and sounds like one of those songs that would be playing in the movie of your life, you know?

And I also wanted to thank you for posting your procedure so we could get a glimpse into your life at the mo. It is hard for all of us to exactly understand what you two are enduring, but it is nice to be able to share it with you. Much love.

Unknown said...

I did just yesterday! We dont get to indulge in our sound system in our car very much anymore for the sake of sleeping babies and such. Cuase if you turn it up loud enough it shakes. but I had to go get the mail at the post office so i go in the car and up went the volume! ahh it was so nice just to blare it for the short ten minutes. But i do understand! there even is a night or two that the girls have been in bed and i pop a cd in the surround sound in the house and turn it up and just dance crazyly. Its a good work out i must say but fun at the same time! :)