Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 2003!

That's what we did last Friday. At least I did. You see, for this party we were invited, as stated in the evite, to "dress as the epitome of your teen years. . . either truly as you dressed, or how you dreamed you could." So, for me that was 2000-2003, and for KC 1991-1995. And this wasn't just any party, it was a real life dance party. Now, I haven't really danced since I was in high school. And I think I did it so much then, that I never had a desire to do it again. I felt like I'd grown out of it or something. And to tell you the truth, I didn't think anyone would actually dance. I thought I'd be humiliated and feel weird. But when that playlist of 80s and 90s songs started to play, people just started to get in the groove. I mean, they were really dancing. KC was getting so into it, it was hilarious. It was like I was seeing a new side of him, since this isn't the kind of activities we usually involve ourselves in. There was serious head banging, floor shaking, and roof raising. I kind of wished I brought my own cd with all the songs from my era. I could've pulled out my Brittany Spears dance moves, or sang my heart out as we danced to Backstreet Boys. But the music was great all the same. The graduating years ranged from 1987-2003. Yes, one of my good friends graduated with I was 3 years old. Weird. At one point I think there were about 30 people crammed in the apartment. But it never felt crowded, and the time just flew by. And if you were into these kinds of events in college, which I never had the pleasure of, the crowdedness was all part of the fun.KC and I dressed the best we could with our resources. I wore a powder puff t-shirt, my student council hoodie, with my favorite jeans and Tevas from high school (yep I still have them around), and though it still looks pretty normal, my style has changed quite a bit. KC did a great job with his slicked hair, silk shirt with sleeves rolled up, and pegged jeans with hiking boots. He even wore a cologne that he'd had for a while. A smell very distinctive of high school.It's amazing, the memories that came flooding back as the night went on. I remember dancing so hard that we girls would go outside for a rest, but couldn't wait to go back in to get our dance back on. We had those kind of breaks at this party too. Or just dancing with KC as I smelled his juvenile cologne was seriously a blast from the past. And maybe that I was in my Tevas that I wore almost non-stop back in the day, or having to yell over the music to talk to anybody (oh, my ears were ringing after), but it was all so nostalgic. And it's even better when you're married, knowing you'll always get asked to dance, and you actually get to go home with your date.So we weren't the only ones that got into the theme. We saw everything from overalls, and flannel shirts (unbuttoned over t-shirts), to black lipstick (on a guy) and cowboy hats. It was a great night, and we stayed well past our bedtime, about 1 am. They were starting a big pot of pasta for the ones who stayed really late (Christian, the host, is from Italy, and maybe this is a custom there or something), and as good as that sounded, my 8 am appointment followed by a ward temple session the next morning was warning me not to. But it was an awesome party that I would've never thought would be as fun as it was. It was nice to see everyone just let loose enjoy themselves. Dancing is such a stress reliever. We really need to do it again soon.

But not too soon. My neck, from the head banging, and calves from the jumping up and down, need a break. I'm totally sore. We were seriously dead on Saturday recovering. Am I getting old? This kind of thing never phased me in high school.

9 comments:

Kristy said...

This is the best idea that I have heard for a party in a long time!

MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice are coming in concert in 2 months and I bet this concert will be just like your party!

Cami said...

Oh man, after our High School Reunion Dance I was SO sore. Dancing is seriously a teenage sport.

You guys look awesome. But did KC REALLY peg his pants in high school? That was more of a Elementary School thing for me . . .

Unknown said...

sounds like tons of fun!

Unknown said...

oh man, your outfit really is PERFECT...and lucky girl, you still look just as cute and skinny as you did in highschool!!

Susan said...

That sounds like so much fun!! Cute pics.

Michelle and Cisco said...

I have been wanting to have a dance party for so long! I might have to wait a few years before having a High School theme though...

Kassi said...

Em I think that is seriously amazing that you can even fit into stuff from high school. You must be taking really good care of yourself. That seems like a really fun idea to dress like you did in your teens. I really enjoyed all the pictures!

Merinda Reeder said...

That party was so fun. We went in fairly skeptical as well; but I felt so good and energized Saturday (though admittedly a little sore).
I haven't done anything so active since playing a [very] short game of Ultimate Frisbee at Mollie's birthday.
And yes, I bet KC did peg his pants. I know I did, and I'm just the next year.

Amber said...

You guys are awesome! KC what a great sport you are. Hope you guys are doing well!