Sunday, February 15, 2009

L. is for the way you look at me. . .

We had a grand Valentiney weekend. I love it on Saturday. Then you have an excuse to celebrate all weekend long. (And although, I kind of hate Valentine's Day, or the forcing of love via commercialized and cliche gifts rather, it is nice to have an excuse to do things a little differently than any other day.) So our weekend went as follows.

We had plans to go to a fun place in DC on Friday. ( We were babysitting on Saturday but before you start feeling sorry for us, Jan asked me which night we'd rather have. Yes, she let us choose, and with my minor crowd phobia, I chose Friday, in hopes to avoid them.) But places still seemed to be very booked for reservations, so instead of braving the crowds and traffic that were probably present where we had planned on going, I told KC I just wanted to go out for one of my favorite things. Nachos! Yes, I had a big plate of them all to myself, though I hardly made a dent. I was in Heaven. Can you tell? (KC wasn't really sad, we just liked the shape of the chips and how big they were.) And isn't that what Valentine's day is about? Doing what makes you happy? There is a time and a place for a nice, romantic, candle-lit dinner, and I just wasn't feeling like it at that moment. But I was sitting by my love, with my nachos, so it was all good. We planned on seeing Coraline 3-D, but it was sold out until 10:15. I'd be snoozing for sure. So we said hi to the Turpins, since we were in the neighborhood, went home, ate our chocolate covered strawberries for dessert and fell asleep to a movie cuddled up on the couch. A great night with my love.

So the fun continues on Saturday. Since I was babysitting later on, I decided to make them a little Valentine of my own. Chocolate cupcakes with pink buttercream seemed fitting. KC came home on Friday with a "candy tower" he had won at work. The gummy hearts were a perfect garnish for the cupcakes. I decided to make enough for all my young women too. KC did some church business in the morning, but came home a beautiful bouquet of roses for me. What a sweetie. It was a lovely day, and it was especially nice to have KC's sweet guitar playing in the background as I was baking. It was also nice to eat as much candy as I felt like eating all day for this specific occasion. We got some chores done around the house, the kind of gift that I love to get, and just sort of lounged.

It's so nice to have KC come when we babysit at night. He is so great with the kids and indulged them in many games of hide-n-seek, which they seemed to think was the best thing every. They worship KC. Iris has quite the crush. The kids were just in bed when we were surprised by them coming home only a couple hours after they left. They were too tired, just like us, to hit a late movie and decided to just come home early. So we had the night free after all.
It was a nice weekend, and mostly nice because we just spent it together, with only each other's happiness in mind. There are a million things I could list about what I love about him, and about us together, but I'll just say that KC is so perfect for me.Happy V-Day everyone.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Those nachos look so wonderful! I agree, way better than waiting 2-3 hours for a table and not even being able to talk to each other because the place is so packed. I'm glad you had a good Valentines!

Cami said...

Those cupcakes were SO good. Too many in my belly.