Friday, February 06, 2009

Home again.

So I am back in Maryland and am unusually busy! I mean, I like having things to do, but it's hard to believe that I was still in Utah just two days ago. I've been babysitting, cleaning, store-running, and catching up on my church and other responsibilities. But I had the most wonderful time, and loved every second that I had with everybody. It was the kind of trip where we could plan things, or not, or do things, or not, and no matter what, it was fun. It was great to just get to see my family, and act as if we actually lived near each other.

So of course, it wouldn't be a trip without a long, descriptive, day-by-day post, with a plethora a pictures and videos, so here you go.

Sunday 1/25
  • Caught a 5 pm flight without a hitch.
  • Enjoyed two in-flight movies that really helped the 5 hours pass.
  • Was picked up by Drew and Dad and was warmly greeted at home by the Rejholecs, Pecks, and Ribeiras.
  • Melody, Julia and I slept there are Mom's.

Monday 1/26 (My camera had just died and I had to wait until the evening when we went to Melody's the charge it, so no pics, of this day, unless someone else has them on their camera.)
  • I finally got to see Jujus when she woke up, and watched in amazement as she fed herself humongous bites of oatmeal.
  • I accompanied Melody and Julia to Julia's doctor appointment.
  • We met up with Amber and did some great clearance shopping at Old Navy, and Target, and found sales way too good to pass up (even if I had to get creative when I was packing to go home.)
  • At Amber's we enjoyed Cafe Rio for lunch, watched Ghost Town (during which I snoozed a bit), and latest episode of The Office.
  • Some other family came over for an old fashioned spaghetti dinner, and a huge plate of doughnuts (hey, we had a craving).
  • I went home with the Rejholecs to stay the night. This was my usual sleeping place, though I moved around quite a bit.
Tuesday1/27
  • I joined Melody and Julia on the routine track walk.
  • While Melody was teaching preschool, I went to get my haircut in Amber's neighbor's house. She did a great job, and it as half the price of my Maryland stylist (who I love and deserves every penny, but still.)
  • Dad came to pick me up because I was sleeping at there house. Mom made a great dinner of soup and salad.
  • Mom and I had a night of pampering. We started with some yoga, did facials, our eyebrows, and highlighted her hair.
  • We rounded out the night with a much-needed trip to Purple Turtle with Lili, Jeff, their hat, and Drew. I was in Heaven. They don't make shakes like that where I come from.

(Here is a little video of one of Todd's masterpieces.)


Wednesday 1/28
  • Went to BYU with Mom, Dad, and Drew.
  • Saw mother-in-law Janice at her office on campus.
  • Caught up with Drew between classes while we shopped at the bookstore, had bagels in the Wilk. and saw the new exhibits in the art museum.
  • Ate lunch with mom and dad in the cafe of the Art Museum
  • When we got home, I showed mom and dad how I relax in the afternoon with a couple episodes of SVU. I think mom is hooked.
  • Went to a wonderful and delicious pizza party at the Robinson's with lots of family. We even had a webcam visit with KC. You really need to try out these pizzas. They were awesome.
  • Kristy, my childhood neighbor, turned cousin-in-law, lives right by melody, so she offered to take me home. My parents were thankful for the hour less driving. Thanks again Kristy!
Thursday 1/29
  • Melody and I, after sharing and enjoying a Maverick biscuit sandwich, met dad and went up to Salt Lake to see my grandpa where he was having chemotherapy. We were able to visit for a good amount of time before we had to go back in time for preschool.
  • We had awesome Japanese food for lunch at the Pecks.
  • I was able to catch up on LOST while Mel was teaching. What is up with that show?
  • Later when Jonny came, home we weren't really hungry, so Melody and I had cereal for dinner, and then we watched American Idol. We also played a little Wakee Six. We may have tried to watch Bleak House, but promptly fell asleep. This happened on a few occasions.

(Enjoy Julia's animal sounds. The bunny kills me.)

Friday 1/30
  • We met up with Matt, Jonny, and the some of the Pecks for breakfast at Kneaders. Whoa, it's so good.
  • We girls did more shopping, and found more awesome deals. And we went to Costco.
  • We relaxed in the Pecks theater room while we watched The Forgotten.
  • Amber made her awesome stuffed mushrooms that we snacked on while we played games.
  • Mostly everyone came over for biscuits and gravy that we prepared at the pecks.
  • Mom, Dad and I picked up Cami from the airport and drove straight up to Logan for more time with Grandma and Grandpa. They were already asleep when we got there.
  • I was REALLY missing KC by this point, but it helped that my dad tucked me in like old times.

Saturday 1/31
  • We had a great day morning in Logan spending quality time with two of my favorite people. I loved cuddling with my grandma on a chair as we tried to warm up in the morning
  • Grandma gave us a few chores to do. She needed a little r&r with all that she does for Grandpa. We were more than happy to oblige.
  • Their house has such a wealth of memories for me. It was so refreshing to be up there.
  • After a wonderful lunch of hot soup and bread, we headed home.
  • We met up with EVERYBODY (that is a lot of people) at 5 Guys-one of our faves here in the East, and new to those in the west-and indulged in burgers and fries.
  • I went home with the Rejholecs, and watched Vantage Point. (Which I slept through completely. This time change, I'm telling you.)

(This is a trick Melody and Jonny taught Julia-to pretend they are asleep so she kiss them.)

(I learned this trick my resting my eyes, and opening them to Julia's puckered lips. I was so happy she did it again for the video.)

Sunday 2/1
  • I attended Church with the Rejholecs. I got some new ideas for Young Women, and had a nice chat with one of the YW counselors (Mel is Pres.) about her recent adoption.
  • We met at my moms for delicious dutch oven fajitas, where everyone, again, was in attendance.
  • We went on a vigorous two mile walk to Matt and Courtney's house, in the freezing, though, refreshing air.
  • We speed watched the Superbowl.
  • We played this fun game called Who What Where, and ate way too much caramel popcorn. (I did anyway.)
  • Someone broke out the 5 lb. bag of gummi bears (that house never seems to be without it) and we watched (in horror) the Office special. Whoa, that was an uncomfortable episode.
  • We just sat around and talked well into the night, while mom, wrapped in a fitted sheet because it felt warm out of the dryer, was doing her homework. Melody, and Amber slept over. We were only missing Elise for our girly sleepover. Bummer.
Monday 2/2
  • Amber, Cami, Melody and I went to breakfast where Mel treated me to her favorite Gandalfos breakfast sandwich. She was right, it was good.
  • A little more shopping, and then Melody and I left for her house. We really needed a nap. Of course, Julia didn't need a very long one, but I enjoyed lounging with her on the couch as she quietly watched her shows, and I rested my eyes.
  • We went to get some groceries for the coming dessert night.
  • We did a little work on the desserts, and then had a delicious dinner that Melody and Jonny made.
  • Melody and I went out for dip cones at Arctic Circle, where we made come fun plans coming up.
Tuesday 2/3
  • In the morning we made a little more progress on the desserts, and left for preschool. I picked Cami up and we went to Grandmother's for lunch. My dad came along too. It was delicious. I've always loved my grandmother's southern cooking.
  • Cami and Dad left for Jane's nap time, and I got to stay and visit for quite a while. It was so fun to catch up and chat.
  • I stopped at Target and ran into one of my best friends ever, Ashley. What are the chances? Great timing, I say.
  • After preschool, Melody and I went back to her place to get ready for the pizza, dessert party that the whole fame came to. We make Macaroon Mousse Cake, and deep dish Key Lime Pie. We all enjoyed ourselves, and I was feeling sad that this would be the last time I saw all of these people for a while (hence the millions of pictures).

(The family get-together.)


(Julia is learning to jump, and like a doggy doing a trick, she gets a treat.)

Wednesday 2/4
  • I had to say goodbye to Melody and Julia, which is a very, very, VERY hard thing to do. I didn't like it.
  • Jonny drove me to the park-and-ride, where we were meeting Dad and Cami to go to the airport. On the way, we derived a 5-year plan for our families. Hmm. . .maybe I'll be in the west pretty soon.
  • Cami and had I a pretty uneventful flight. Janey was great considering annoying traveling conditions. And we had another in-flight movie. I love those.
  • My love picked us up. I was so happy to be reunited with him.
  • We dropped Cami off, went home and vegged. I was completely exhausted. What a trip.
So, that's it. There were some things that didn't make it into the daily details, but I'll mention them here:
  • I loved hearing Julia's new words. She learned "Mimi" while I was there, and it really melts my heart to hear her say it as she points to me and smiles. It was is also hilarious (but naughty, so I tried not to laugh) when she would say "no" in so many different ways, and "STOP!" even when you weren't even doing anything. I also loved when she would come in my room and help me with my hair, play with my jewelry, or help me pack. I loved getting up early and getting her out of bed. She is so funny and talkative right out of bed. And I couldn't get enough of her kisses. I'll miss you like crazy, Jujus.
  • All the Peck kids have changed so much. Allyson still has her little pixie voice, but she is getting older so fast. Jillian has become this hilarious drama queen, and puts on quite a show. Katy, is practically a teenager, and is so smart, telling us stories about how she sticks up for her political beliefs in class. And Jordan, he IS a teenager. I can't believe how grown up and mature he is with all his responsibilities. I keep waiting for him to act like a brat, as teenagers do, but he never does. I love those kids.
  • Mom was always either in class, or doing homework. She is such an amazing student. I'm sure she works harder than she needs to. I'm so impressed.
There is so much more I could write, but my legs are numb from sitting here too long, and I doubt many are still reading. So now it's back to life, responsibilities, and most importantly, KC. It's always a bittersweet experience when I leave. I was really missing KC when my trip was nearing the end, but every time I looked at little Julia, or any of the kids, it made me so sad to know that I wouldn't have the luxury of seeing them everyday and watch them grow. The kids are always the hardest to leave because the change the most, and I don't talk to them on the phone everyday. Although, Melody and I are going to try to get some regular webcaming going on, so Julia will continue to know her aunt "Mimi." Thanks to everyone for letting me disrupt your lives and letting me stay with you. I always feel like I'm whole again when Melody is with me. It just makes me happy to be with her and the rest of my family. Now, if only KC had just been there to make it compete. Well, we have plans for a summer trip, so I am definitely looking forward to that. Until then, enjoy a few more videos. The last one if my absolute favorite. (Oh and Cami posted some great pics of Logan, and other family gatherings here, if you hadn't had enough yet.)

(This is Julia's language.)



( I really couldn't get enough of this little girl.)



(It makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it.)

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I'm glad you had a fun trip! Sorry you had to ride in the cool truck that kinda smells like dirt, because it is usually sitting in a barn! It was good to talk to you a bit though!

Unknown said...

looks like a very eventful trip indeed...that Julia sure is a character!

Sarah said...

I can't believe 1 - you were in Utah the same time as me and 2 - we didn't see each other! Dang.
Sounds like you had a great time with your family. Julia is so cute.

Cami said...

Great post! Now I shall steal some pictures. Juju is so cute! It was fun times. Thanks for the help on the plane.

Marianne said...

I'm sorry that I never contacted you- Melody and I had planned to at least go to Kneaders for breakfast or something. It just so happened you were visiting over the weekend of the region swim meet, Maddie and Morgan's 15th (!) birthday, and parent teacher conferences. Yikes! I hope next time you're out we get to connect.

melody said...

Thanks again for coming! We REALLY loved having you here and it's taking some getting used to having you gone again. Julia loves watching the videos and copying herself!