Saturday, February 20, 2010

At any given moment.

I am a person who likes to get things done the moment I think of them. I like to clear them from my head so I don't have to be bothered by those things again. Procrastinate is like a four letter word to me. So when a lot of my time is used up by rocking and holding babies, and I'm sitting here thinking of all the things I should/want to do, it drives me a little crazy that I am stuck until I can do any of them. I try so hard to enjoy those quiet moments with my babies, but sometimes I feel like I am rocking all day long, and it's not always so quiet and relaxing when another one is crying and needs to be rocked, making me want to rush one so I can get to another. (And believe me, they don't like to share me on the rocking chair. I've tried. They are getting quite large.)

Anyway, it seems that at any given moment there are about 20 things on my mind, and I know most moms can probably relate. So as I was sitting here a minute ago rocking my babies to sleep for what I'm sure will be a short nap, I was thinking of all the things I want to do as soon as the little ones let me put them down, barring one of them doesn't start crying and need to be rocked yet again. Even the most mundane things have to be prioritized when I have so many things on my mind, and so little time to do them. Also, I've learned the importance of multitasking. So here's what I'm thinking about right now. I could:



Eat (am I the only nursing mother that wakes up completely starving? I'm doing this one as I blog.)

clean up the bottles from the night feedings

go to the bathroom

pump (which I'm also doing while blogging-gotta get creative.)

sleep (which sounds like the best choice after a night like last night, but seems pointless since I'll have to get up in a few minutes anyway.)

read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (more about this later.)

shower

start the laundry

fold some laundry

take out the garbage

put on some slippers

write some emails

write some thank you notes

tidy up the house

drink some water

finish a show I started yesterday morning and is still paused (hey-I have to fit in leisure activities somewhere.)

dust the living room

I'm sure I could think of a lot more. . . and here I am blogging.


Well, Alex's eyes popped open. And there goes Bennett. All those things are just going to have to wait. Good thing I really like these babies.

12 comments:

Ali said...

As a horrid procrastinator I am completely jealous of this quality of yours!!

It may not seem like it, but the babies will get into longer sleep routines and will learn to play by themselves in the playpen for a little bit at a time, freeing you to keep up with your mental list!!

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Funny how you have to prioritize going to the bathroom. I've found myself doing the same thing. :)

Hannah said...

you are a busy mamma! You babies are darling, though! Totally worth it.

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! You have to at least go to the bathroom. That one almost brought tears to my eyes. I think every mom understands.

Melissa said...

Do you have a baby bouncer? My baby loves it and I can make dinner. Then again, I don't know if you'd get lucky like that with three.

mylittlegems said...

oh Emily :) I have learned to just let everything go. Time after time the Lord tries to teach me to just enjoy them while they are little and I try to get things done instead-- but no more ;) I haven't showered for a few days. I haven't really cleaned anything either. Sometimes dishes sit in the sink for a little while. And as much as it bothers me, it is o.k. the baby is sick and daddy is gone, so I just learn to be o.k. because before you know it they will all be grown-up and you will have lots of time. So as much as it makes you crazy to not get things done, I say- try to let it go and sleep and enjoy those sweet babies :) BTW- do you need anything- like say bibs? :) I need to get you a little something ;) Hang in there- it gets easier....with time ;)

Emily said...

Thanks Sharla. Really great insight, and all so true. I really try to look over most of the things I want to do. Even making a decent meal is a luxury. But my point was that even the simplest things, like go to the bathroom, and drink some water, are even hard to get to sometimes. I'm sure you can relate. I'm amazed at all you can do with all those kids, and your crafts. Believe me, I don't shower everyday, or get the dishes done as often as I want. But I know these babies are totally worth it!

Sarah said...

No - you are not the only nursing mother who wakes up starving. When I was nursing Lou only (she wasn't eating table food yet), I was starving constantly.
If it helps - I always keep a pad of paper by me (like when I was nursing for an hour straight) and when things would pop in my head I would write them down so i could get them done when I actually have a minute.
But just enjoy each moment - you will be happy when you look back and see that you spent time with your babies rather than doing the dishes.

melody said...

Oh yes, going to the bathroom and putting on slippers were on my mental to-do list while nursing Gabe today. Ha! This is a great documentation of this crazy-busy time in your life. Now put web-cam on your next list and let's get to it. (You know I am kidding, we will get around to it soon, I am sure.)

Matt said...

Good typing and all...but..sooo..no pictures then?

Jeffy said...

Forget the thank you notes! that's all I have to say.

Except, also, folding laundry is sort of optional . . . you can pick stuff out of a pile for a long time, I've found.

Gerti said...

HA HA, YES YES YES, I totally understand... and even now, when he's more able to take care of certain things by himself, I still don't use the bathroom or get a drink until he's napping or in bed... it's so hard! But your documentation is great!