Saturday, February 06, 2010

Some accomplishments.

Yesterday I was determined to make the babies:
a) eat about 4 1/2 to 5 oz. or more at each feeding, which would hopefully
b) stretch them to eating from 3 hours to 3 1/2 or 4 hours between feedings, which would hopefully
c) Get them to sleep longer in the night like good little babies should.

And we were quite successful. I decided it was time to give the good old "cry it out" method a try for bedtime. We do it for naps here and there, but they don't seem to like that quite yet. I've read several books on the subject, and I know there are plenty of opinions out there, but we're just doing what we think is best. And do you know what? They cried in their cribs at bedtime for about 20 minutes and then it was quiet! I couldn't believe my ears. I seriously didn't know how to express my happiness. A whole new world opened up to me. Some time during the day with no babies to be responsible to pick up at any moment. I forgot what that was like, and didn't quite know what to do with myself. I know we will still have difficult sleep training days ahead, but we'll take any good day. One step at a time, right? I just like to stay in the kitchen with the dishwasher running while the crying is going on (resulting in a pretty clean kitchen). We are on the path to more restful nights folks, I can just feel it. Now that didn't mean that they didn't wake up a lot during the night, because they did, the sillies. But their first stretch of sleep was pretty good, about 5 1/2 hours. Like I said, one step at a time. It feels so good when something actually works.

You know, lately I've been feeling like life with these babies has consisted of more fun times than stressful ones. Britney and I just love hanging with them all day while we play with them, watch movies, or just chat. But we definitely love the nights and weekends when KC is home to play. It amazing how free you can feel with only one baby to look after. They are quite entertaining, and very cuddly. Even when I have to hold two at once, I try to take in the moment and love that my arms are overflowing, rather than overwhelmed. They have started giggling, and are definitely chatty little babies keeping our attention at all times. I still just can't believe this perfect trio is mine. My heart is so full.

So we had another trip to the Pediatrician for yet another set of vaccines. Wow, are these babies growing like weeds.

A: 14 lbs. 8 oz.
B: 13 lbs. 8 oz.
R: 12 lbs. 3 oz.

All are very healthy and right on track. They are about 11 weeks old adjusted, and about 5 months from their actual birth date. Time really flies with kids, doesn't it? I can't wait to see how they grow, though I'll desperately miss my little ones.

By the way. We're snowed in. Really. Did you hear about it on the news? It seems like it's all the weather people can talk about. The Blizzard of 2010! Quite cozy, actually.

4 comments:

Janice said...

I can just hear the giggles. Good for you on stretching the times between feeds. And 5/5 hours - hooray!

Cami said...

I'm SO glad you had a good night! Don't give up, there are more good nights to come. I wish I were there to snuggle and giggle too. And be snowed in. I missed the days. :)

Unknown said...

yeah for sleeping to be getting better slowly! I must tell you that the girls still ate three hours clockwork during the day and then slept through the night which was ok with me I could handle three hours during the day as long as i got my sleep! good luck and hope it keeps getting better!

Sarah said...

Yeah for a good night! Oh, you will soon look back and think, "that wasn't so bad." I know - sounds silly, but you will. Motherhood is the best thing ever right?!