Monday, February 22, 2010

Baby Steps

So, I suppose that last post was a little pitty-partyish, which wasn't it’s intent at all. Life is generally good around here, and we do have moments of blissful free time (obviously, since I have time to write this-even if it did take two days and darling Ruby is sleeping on my lap as I type) to keep us sane.003 I guess it was in the wake of my mom leaving, so I was adjusting to have less hands around here. Some days are just better than others, you know? Don't worry, I usually can find time to go to the bathroom. Anyway, to lighten things up a bit, I'll tell you about some of the positive changes that are going on around here.

First of all that babies really do have good nights and naps times! Rarely, but the good ones do not go unnoticed. Like I said, baby steps (thank you Dr. Marvin). I really thought I could avoid a lot of trial and error with all the books I've been reading on sleep training, but I guess with each unique child comes a unique experience, no matter what the books say. And I have three unique children. Don't get me wrong, the books have been my constant companions, always out and ready to flip to the section that I need most that day. They have shed light on this sleep training subject that I'd have never known otherwise, and have really given me the reassurance that my babies are doing what's expected for their age, and that I'm doing what I'm supposed to. They've given me the courage to let them cry when everything in me wants to hold and comfort them. Though crying it out is actually kind of a relief for me since I can't hold and comfort them all at the same time, and learning to self-soothe is very important in our situation. Even though they sometimes cry ( though the past couple nights have been cry-free when they go down), I am doing what's best for them, and it works out for me too. These books usually leave me feeling in charge and empowered, instead of helpless and hopeless. Here’s my stash.014

I'll admit though, sometimes I want to rip the books in half since they make sound so simple. For instance, when I read things about kids sleeping through the night after only three nights of crying it out, I get a little perturbed that mine won't do that same, especially after a night of rocking and feeding each baby at different times. Maybe I'm trying to rush them. As much as I like what the books say, I also think my intuition, and things I think might work for my babies are important too. I can see the changes occurring, and I'm sure things will get better in what seems like no time at all. I hope.

Other great things that have made my life easier lately, is that the babies love their play mat, their swings with mobiles, the doorway bouncer, their Bumbos, toys, kicking their legs like crazy, bath time, naked time (my favorite) and Baby Einstein. Only for a few minutes sometimes, but hey, I’ll take it. 052 009

One magical day, all three of them slept for a good 2 1/2 hours straight! I was able to get so much done, including make a carrot cake- a dessert that is quite high maintenance for my situation (seriously sometimes I contemplate not buying oranges because they take too long to peal). But I did it, and not even in a rushed manner. Wouldn’t you want carrot cake too if you had a huge Costco bag of carrots to use up? I thought it would take a week with all the pealing, grating (with a food processor of course-I’m not that crazy) mixing, baking, and frosting it required. But one day was all I needed. Ruby wanted to help with the assembly. She’s quite the little baker.

036

039

044

KC also used her help for something he was working on. What a good girl. 035034

And with the snow slowly melting, we’ve been able to take a couple refreshing walks. One just with our little family of five. We wanted the house quiet for a few minutes of rest for hard working Britney. The babies loved it. (Pardon our shabbiness, it was a long day.) I can see Spring being a wonderful time for us.

067

068

We are enjoying this ride, as tired as we may be. Especially during moment like this when everyone was playing in our bed on Sunday morning. Something I envisioned during my whole pregnancy. Ahh, I love these babies. Have I mentioned that yet?

064

(Also, check out some hilarious pics of Bennett here.)

8 comments:

Sarah said...

So cute. I think babies love being outside - even if it is freezing.

Unknown said...

oh they are just so darling! I just want to squeeze them all!

melody said...

Oh man, I hear ya about the books. The advice can be so helpful and hopeful, but those 3-night success stories drive me crazy too!

That cakes looks so good. Did you know carrot cake is my favorite? I bet YOUR carrot cake would really be my favorite.

Ruby looks so sweet sleeping on your lap. I still have those blue pants too.

Love the boys smiling on the mat.

Janice said...

Kudos on the carrot cake! I haven't made one of those in years - I hate shredding carrots! I only get carrot cake when it's on the dessert menu. Lucky people live at your house.

Matt said...

!

Melissa said...

Just finished reading BabyWise myself today and also own a copy of Healthy Sleep, Happy Baby or whatever. Baby Christian is crying himself to sleep right now so I'm trying to distract myself with blogs. No fun but important. After doing it wrong two other times, I know from experience that the crying doesn't hurt them...it helps so much in the long run.

Jeffy said...

Yes, books. I read them, throw them, read them again. It's true, my babies DID "learn" in three days, for the most part, but that didn't mean they didn't fight it after that. There were relapses, there were periods of making sure I was serious, etc. They almost ALWAYS cried going to sleep, but not significantly after the first 3 nights or so. Or so I think. It's all a blur. ANYWHO, you DO have 3 distinct babies, who all act differently than they would act if they were alone! Very confusing. I think you are doing great. Keep on keepin on! They are SO cute. And you will be amazed at how much Spring will change things.

This is Cami, I don't want to change it.

Alicia said...

Sounds like you're doing great! A carrot cake?!?! That's impressive! And I love your pile of books--they certainly help, but don't have all the answers, do they? I think you have the right approach--pull the info that feels right and then depend on your motherly intuition! Now that I have two kids, people like to tell me that two wasn't bad, but three was REALLY hard. So pat yourself on the back for starting out there!