Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Triplets! You don't see that everyday."

That was a quote from a fellow passenger and the reaction from almost everyone we came in contact with at the airport. The questions, comments, stares, and smiles were continuous throughout our travels. The babies did wonderfully on the flight with a few sleepy whines before drifting off to sleep. They definitely made more friends than enemies on our flight. One of the flight attendants even asked if she could take Ruby for a walk through the plane. (I just told her to not let anyone touch her.) We could see Ruby making friends all the way up in first class. And it helped that we were sitting on the very last row so everyone in line for the bathrooms couldn't help but smile and talk to the babies, only to have them smile and talk back. Quite the little performers we've got here. It's funny how when people realize that they aren't singletons, or twins, but triplets their faces light up and they just have to know more. Some questions get a little on the personal side, but we usually have a tactful answer ready for them. There is almost always a story about someone they know who has multiples, usually twins, and they are always full or warnings about the future. Ha! Like I haven't thought of that. Everyone was so nice and friendly. The babies were angels. It was a great flight.

So we're settled in here. KC had to leave on Tuesday so we enjoyed having him here for a couple days. We got to be a part of my niece Penny's blessing. It was so fun to have everyone together. Crazy, but fun. Penny, who I just met for the first time, it such a gorgeous little baby. It was only a short time ago that my babies were even smaller than that, and it baffles my mind. They are quite large now and noticeably so. It makes me so happy to see how big and healthy and happy my babies are. You'd never guess they were preemies.

Speaking of smaller baby times, I keep having flashbacks of last time I was here at Christmas. How things have changed! I was remembering how hard the babies were and how many people it took to keep them consoled around the clock. The willingness of all those who took time to help with my then chaotic life will never be forgotten. Friends and relatives I hadn't talked to for years came out of the wood works to take day shifts and night shifts to be a baby holder/feeder, or so I could have a moment of freedom, or sleep for those few glorious hours. And of course both of our families were always there for me whenever I needed them. It really was a hard hard time, but it's because of all these people that I was able to remember it with fondness also. And I think my babies are better babies because of all the love they get from everyone in their lives. It almost makes me feel guilty having to take people away from what they had going on in their lives, but it was for the babies' well being and I will always tell the babies how loved they were and how many people cared.

Now, even though we don't need anyone staying up until all hours of the night, we are still the recipients of help by others. People have generously donated pack and plays, car seats, and Bumbos among other things. I was a little bit of a minimalist when I packed for this trip as opposed to the last one. I just wanted things to be easier this time around and our traveling and visiting experience has truly been a breeze so far. And can I just say how happy I am that the babies have been sleeping so well, especially under the jet lag and off schedule circumstances. They didn't get anything but short catnaps all of Saturday and most of Sunday, but have taken great naps and 12 hours nights just fine most of the time since things have settled. And since they aren't tiny, fragile, RSV-threatened newborns anymore, and it's not the dead of winter, we can go places with them. (They all fit in the back of my mom's car. Ha!) Like to KC's parents' house for Michelle's birthday dinner last Sunday. Despite the babies being pretty tired, they were still happy to entertain us all with their happy faces, and cute little words and giggles.

That's it for now. Pictures and videos to come. I'm so glad we're here.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad you are here. Now when do you want to meet up at a park? :)

Mecham Family said...

Oh boy... I ABSOLUTELY must see you and those cute babies this time!

Woods said...

I'm so glad you made it okay. I will be calling you to see when I can come see you and those sweet babies.

Anonymous said...

I am so so sad that I missed you! We're in the same building as Lili and I ran into Melody in the mother's lounge. We just moved to Portland yesterday for the summer, but I had every intention of coming over to see you guys...it just got too crazy.