Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Farewell Utah once again.

So, we are done with our latest Utah excursion. I always hate leaving. In fact, I almost canceled this trip a few weeks prior, partly because of the fact that I knew I wouldn’t want to leave. I always go with a resolution to devise a plan to live out there. I don’t necessarily want to live in Utah, but it’s my family I want to be near, especially now that I have kids. I mean, how can I not be sad when this is what I see as I’m driving away. Oh Amber, you can always count on her for a laugh.)249250251256

But I love Maryland as well, and it’s my home for now. It seems that as soon as I am getting settled after a trip like this, I seem to adapt right back into life and somehow forget how sad I was to leave my twin sister, the rest of my siblings, their families, my parents, and everyone else I love there. Probably because I am so busy getting these babies back into their routine, and this house back in order after my month-long absence (my suitcases have yet to be unpacked, and I don’t even want to begin the loads of laundry that is piling up).

Speaking of babies, I have to hand it to them for being such cute little troppers during a long, late flight. We left Monday evening on a 5 pm flight, an hour before bedtime. I thought this would either be a really great flight with them swaddled and sleeping peacefully in our arms most of the time, or a horrendous flight with them screaming, flailing, needing their dark, quiet, warm room to fall asleep in. Well, as soon as we boarded, we fed them and they all did fall asleep pretty quickly, only to wake up about 15 minutes later thinking it was play time again. They had been awake for several hours so they must’ve been tired, in fact they would threaten to drift off now and then, but then wake right back up. They didn’t seem to care. There were a few bouts of fussiness from everyone, especially Alex, but soon they were probably in that extremely overtired, loopy phase. They were actually pretty entertaining since they were so delirious and silly, laughing and jumping about. After a while of silently begging them to take  nap so that I could rest, I just let myself relax instead of stress, since I had tried everything I could think of to get any of them to sleep, and they were being so good despite their lack of it. I think the individual TVs on the back of the seats helped too. A lot of the time they would just lay in our laps looking at it, or other interesting scenery that the plane provides. And a big thanks to KC’s dad for volunteering to help with the flight. Those necessary extra hands are greatly appreciated.

 262 267 268 270 272

They of course attracted a lot of attention from the time we stepped foot into the SLC airport, until we got in our car to drive home. They made fast friends with our flight attendants and surrounding passengers. They know how to charm an audience. Good thing they weren’t screaming the whole time, or I don’t think people would’ve been so friendly. There were a certain pair of people that were especially memorable. A mother and daughter waiting for their ride at the baggage claim. The mother was 93 years old, hilarious, and smart as a whip. They had a terrible day of traveling with unscheduled stops, still had a long drive back to PA, and it was after midnight. They saw me pushing two of the babies and enthusiastically asked to see them. When I said there was a third, they went berserk. They commented on every move the babies made as if they were the first babies they had ever seen, jokingly begged to take one home, and the mother deemed them “Smart little sons-of-guns,” when they were playing with their toys. With such a long day behind them, they said this was a bright spot in their hard day. I’d have to say they were mine too, though my day wasn’t as torturous. I hope they got home okay.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks the drive from the airpot to you house feels like the longest drive ever? (And it doesn’t help when your car battery dies at the long term parking lot-though KC got it taken care of pretty fast). I was happy to be home and get these babies to bed. They had only been up for 10 hours straight! 2 hours is usually our max. Wow. What angels babies I have.

And did I mention how great it is to have KC with us again. It was a long three weeks without him. I missed my man like crazy!

So I have a million pictures and highlights (those with Google reader will see that I accidently posted a draft with that as a title-oops) of my great month in Utah that I will be happy to post as soon as I get the disk with all my pictures that I downloaded onto my dad’s computer. Hey, if I’m going to leave something behind, it’s better pictures than a baby, right? So until then, here is a little slide show of what I have with me.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, those swaddled babies with squishy cheeks have to be the sweetest thing I have ever seen!! looks like you had such a great trip, I so wish I could have been there to see those little darlings...they are growing up so quickly!

By the way...the videos from the last post were watched about five times each by Jackson and Bianca. Jack loved how alex/bennett?? was eating his brothers' head, he thought it was hilarious.

Drew said...

LOVE the pictures! I'm so glad to hear the trip was mostly uneventful and peaceful. WE MISS YOU! Come live closer!

P.S. Mom, you look fantastic int hat photo.

Unknown said...

those littles are so dang cute i can't even stand it. i'm so glad the trip went so well, and so sorry i was only able to see you once! can i have one of your babies too? :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so bummed that I missed seeing you. Timing just didn't work out. I'm glad it was a great trip, though, and that you're back home safely.

melody said...

That is a sweet story about the pair of ladies at the airport. Your babies do have a way of cheering people up.

melody said...

BRAT! Just because you succeeded in taking a bad picture of me doesn't mean you have to post it for the world to see! I look like I am about to vomit in that one with Ruby. Now be a good sister and delete it! Hurry, before Amber and Cami see it and laugh their heads off.

melody said...

Okay, I just saw another ridiculous one. You were really out to get me!

B Jensen said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha! MAN They are so stinkin' cute. The boys almost don't look like babies...they look like BOYS how adorable they all are. I can't help thinking how happy they constantly look! Always smiling and giggling. So wonderful having you here! Loved loved loved visiting here and there. thanks for letting me drop in! MISS YOU ALL

brit

B Jensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy K said...

Crystal was laughing your photos. We have the same "I love hugs" gown. Hope to see you at church again when I'm not running back and forth from the mothers' lounge or the bathroom. :)

Janice Graham said...

I just watched the slide show. Loved it. I have the CD of your other photos in a pile of stuff I'm sending right away. Love, Mom

Wish you were here.