Monday, May 10, 2010

The new mom makover that wasn't.

If you tuned in to Live with Regis and Kelly at all this week (I usually don't, I was just flipping through the channels a while back leading to the series if events to follow), you'll see that they are doing a New Mom Makeover segment each day. Well, unbeknownst to everyone except my family, a couple friends, and whoever they told, I was a finalist for this. Yep, I signed up online a long time ago after watching a few minutes of the show (which actually is one of my do-not-watch-cause-it's-annoying shows). It was such a silly whim that I'd actually forgotten about it until the intern from LIVE called to ask me more questions about myself a couple months or so later. She asked me to send a picture head to toe with my hair down, sans makeup. So I did what she asked while I laughed at the thought of being on this morning talk show. As the days went on I sort of forgot sometimes, and other times became more curious as to what would come of this mysterious call from New York. A couple days later I missed a call. When I looked at the caller ID, it was the ABC channel phone number showing up on the screen. Was is a courtesy call to let me down, a congratulations that I had made it, or something else? When I listened to the message it was "Shelly from LIVE with Regis and Kelly."Turns out I had the wrong email address or something, but they never got my picture. They left a phone number so I quickly returned the call to get the correct information. Hmm. . .they cared enough to call so they really must have been considering me since there were probably thousands of entries. I thought I better read up on what I had gotten myself into. In the rules and guidelines it stated that the top 25 would get a phone call and they could choose up to 10 new moms to make over. I called my sisters for a good laugh and make imaginary plans to all go to New York together. My mom was staying at my house at the time and she and my Grandma were also in on the New York fun, should anything come of this silly whim I had one day.

I was always aware that probably nothing would come of it, but it's not everyday you get a call like that, so I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little excited at the possibility. After a few days of not hearing back, I had the feeling it was all decided and done. The excitement lost it's luster as the days went on anyway, and began to seem pretty silly. It's not like I am desperate for a makeover or anything, I just wanted to have an adventurous weekend with the girls (though free designer clothes, and a surprise weekend getaway-an added bonus they gave the mom today- with KC wouldn't have hurt). I guess having triplets isn't enough. You have to be an army wife with lots of kids and a full time job to get any attention. I'm half disappointed, half relieved. I mean, I'd have to leave my sweet babies I'd have to prepare so much to leave them here and I'd miss then like crazy! And I would worry about pumping the whole time I was gone. And I am almost certain I would've made a fool of myself on national television. It's just something I would do. See it's better this way, right? Oh well, it's a good story to tell anyway. We sisters have tried to make up for our non-trip with dinner once a week, lots of play time, and a sleepover. One day we'll take our girls trip together, and we won't have to rely on Regis and Kelly for it.

9 comments:

Drew said...

Pffft, of course they picked an army wife. Very politically correct. Still, it's like Julie said: As if you need a makeover anyway!

Jana said...

Between that and the fact that I saw you on the back of a UHaul truck last week... you're basically famous!!

Cami said...

Lame. Shoulda been you. And me. I mean, for a trip. :)

Sarah said...

Dumb. But that would have been cool!

melody said...

We'll still make the NY trip someday. It may be in 20 years, but it will happen!

mylittlegems said...

must be in the family or something as I still have a magazine clipping of when your mom won a make-over for an essay I think. When I was single, I emailed the Dr. Phil show-before it ever was on T.V. because they were looking for stories on single women. They actually emailed me and called me too.
YOU don't need a make-over anyway!! In fact from what I hear, you should give everyone a make-over on how to raise kids- I hear you are amazing. :) plus your beautiful.and on u-haul trucks too. or is that Melody?

Tracie Frost said...

Emily, you are awesome! I actually can believe that they didn't pick you - you're too beautiful already to make over!!

Molly said...

Oh man, I totally wanted to see you on TV! What were they thinking? An army wife- boring:( She probably needed a makeover though!

Amber said...

Idiots! How could they not choose you!!