Monday, May 31, 2010

Summer Beginnings

We are thoroughly enjoying the summer so far. (and what made it even more fun is when I remember last night that KC has work off today!) Let’s see if I can be concise as I give you a list of what we’ve been up to.

After the babies and I took an extremely hot walk, we thought a rinse was in order with all the sweat, sunscreen, and bug repellant covering their plump little bodies. I wanted to bathe them all at once, and luckily all the bumbos fit in the tub perfectly. This was always my plan for our little pool until they can sit up more securely (though the boys are catching up to Ruby pretty quickly sitting up better every day). So I’m glad to know they like it cause we’re filling up the pool today as it’s supposed to be blazing hot. 042044046045010

I think one of the first lessons we need to teach these kids is sharing. It might be a toughie. Poor Ruby.

 

I love snuggling on the couch before bedtime while we listen to lullabies ( I joined them after it took the picture). I could never get enough of  these moments. Times like this are especially sweet when I’ve lost my patience a few times during the day. These sweet faces remind me of how trusting, forgiving, and innocent they are. I hope I can remember that the next time all three of them are crying at me for no good reason. 052 057

They love eating Graham Crackers. And they have also become fans of those little puff snacks. It’s crazy to me that they are old enough for this.   011

I have learned that the boys don’t love vegetable, but I can hide them in other things that they do like. I didn’t want picky kids, but I guess they think they know better. I hid the cauliflower in avocados and they couldn’t get enough of it. Looks like I’m going to have to invest in Deceptively Delicious, or just figure it out myself.

 

We got this fold up wagon that I thought would come in handy for any future ventures. It’s not intended for children, but we couldn’t resist. They loved it.

018

Here’s  more play time. Sometimes they get a little loopy and don’t know whether to laugh or cry. This is one such time. 

 

We had a few friends over yesterday for a batch of homemade strawberry banana ice cream. It has been so long since we hosted anything and it was great to hang out with some of the gang like old times. The babies loved playing with the other kids. (So much, in fact, that they wouldn’t eat well, and Bennett cried like crazy when it was time for bed, only to have Alex join him 45 minutes later.  We may have broken our rules a bit that night. I did this for a number of reasons, yet I still felt like I was weak and hypocritical.  But after we did, they slept like logs for the rest of the night until morning, though a little too early still. Ruby didn’t even budge for 10 hours even with our new rules! We may be getting somewhere and start to have our 12 hour nights without crying again soon. Whoa, long parenthesis.)082

The babies were in their beds. But I’m pretty sure one was crying so they are still kind of present in the picture. 086

I downed a few pieces of watermelon so they could enjoy the rinds. It kept them busy for a wonderfully long time while we enjoyed the ice cream. I love this age. 031

Ruby looked like a red ripe strawberry when we came inside, all plump and pink. They all got baths after this sticky adventure. Aren’t summertime baths the best? They give me such a calm and relaxed feeling for some reason. Clean babies are such a gift.080

 

Projects de-swaddle and de-pacifier are still underway. It didn’t help our efforts that I cheated a little last night. (No more of that.) From now on the set up is swaddling from the waist down, and a blanky in the arms. They seem to really like that.  Hopefully we can get back on track and get this goal fulfilled. They just had a great morning, each of them finishing their full bottles without any help from me, playing happily for their entire wake time, and falling asleep for their naps after only a few minutes of Alex crying, so I’m hoping that’s a good start to the rest of our day.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You are completely right, there is something wonderful about a bath after a hot, sticky summer day. And Even better...the jammied up babies after the bath to snuggle for a bit!

The babies are darling, I love that wagon!

Lili and Jeff said...

This post was like Christmas with all those videos! It is crazy to see how big your babies are getting, especially after you came for Christmas and they were so little (which is funny, because being born at 3 pounds, 8-10 pounds was probably huge for you.) I can't wait to see those little fatties again. Ruby is so glam-o!

Cami said...

Good luck! They are so funny in the bath. Those bumbos are stabalizing AND modesty-enforcing!

Chase said...

My wife showed me this blog, and we've not stopped laughing at the bouncing video! Awesome kids!

Unknown said...

So sweet and funny. Miss you and them, and KC. You must be soooo busy.

Janice Graham said...

So cute and funny! Keep taking pictures for all us grandparents and aunts, uncles, and cousins so far away. We miss you all.

Michelle and Cisco said...

agreed, this post was like Christmas morning! I miss those cute cheeks so much!

Matt said...

Thank you! for posting all these videos. The eating one is cracking me up.

Janice said...

Love the bath videos! Missing the snuggles. Loved all your recent posts.