Saturday, April 23, 2011

All in a day’s play.

I try to occasionally think of new things to keep the kids entertained besides our regular toys, shows, and routine. Don’t we all? I probably need the change as much as they do, if not more. While KC’s mom was here we were discussing new, low stress ways (cause things like the park can be very stressful to a mom in charge of three one-year-olds) to have fun with the kids. She mentioned a sand and water table. I knew immediately that it would be a bit with the kids. But Then I remembered my sister Cami getting some long storage containers and filling them with sand and water, fulfilling the exact purpose. And then there is more room for everyone to play, not to mention being significantly cheaper. So I gathered a few things here and there, and set it up in our screened-in patio. I opened the gate to the kitchen, which made my babies pretty excited to enter that forbidden territory, and led them outside. They were ecstatic. First they just surveyed the room, and touched everything they could reach. Then they eyed the sand. In no time, Ruby was eating the stuff by the handful, and wouldn’t stop. Gross. Since they seemed more interesting in the water anyway, we closed that up for the time being, and let them splash away. They were in playtime heaven. .  002005014037048

We learned the next time we went out to just take off their clothes first.076069150

And even though they didn’t like the idea of going inside, we took them all to have a nice bubble bath after, which just extended the playtime in their minds.DSC_1988

I can’t wait to use the patio all summer. Think of all the sunscreen I don’t have to apply, and all the mosquitoes I don’t have to swat away. We’ll probably just bring their pool in there too. And many thanks to whoever decided to install a ceiling fan in there.

Another idea I had the other day was going to an outdoor mall I love. I remembered they have a play area for kids that I’ve always just walked by as I shopped, never thinking twice about it. But I realized it might be just right for us now. In general, I don’t like the idea of play places. All they look like to me is a petri dish of germs. And my kids haven’t been old enough for them anyway. But with this one being outdoors, and more of a fenced in roaming area than lots of tunnels and balls, I thought we’d give it a shot. After some shopping (successful shopping, that is) we let them loose. Ruby was so funny. I put her down to get another one out of the stroller, and she walked a few steps and then just stood there looking nervous. Sometimes she gave me sideways glances, and sometimes looked at the nice man next to her who thought it was hilarious. I have never seen this shy side of my girl. Within a couple minutes she was ready to take full advantage of this freedom, and started running around with a huge smile on her face. The boys immediately took off. Soon they were doing laps around the place.  They all loved looking out the fence, and climbing on the chairs. They made a lot of friends, and Bennett and Penny had some fun in the cool train. I’m so glad this idea donned on me. I think we’ll be going back very soon (which means I’ll be going back to the mall very soon, which could be a very good, or very bad thing.)006004017016018021022024026

I wonder what other age-appropriate, triplet-friendly activities are out there for my little ones to enjoy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's always nice to find new things to keep the attention of little kids. I swear it usually doesn't take much either!

In the summer all I have to do is turn the hose on to a trickle...Jack and bianca will be kept busy with that all afternoon!

Such cute kiddos in the tub. I can't believe how much hair they have!

melody said...

That porch at your house is so nice. What a great place to play.

Almost every picture of Ruby makes me laugh. She is great!

Amber said...

Such a perfect caged in area for a million babies to go wild with sand and water! It is almost warm enough here to do such fun ness! Love the cupies or horns or whatever in the bath!

Janice said...

Great idea for the water play boxes! I love the picture of Ruby being shy or confused - what a character!
And what a fun place for the kids to play outside at the mall.

Cami said...

Nice! I loved those sand and water buckets. They were just perfect for little ones. Glad they were enough for all those little ones!!