Monday, April 04, 2011

How do dog walkers do it?

The sun is here and it feels good! It was over 80 degrees today, and we loved every second of it. I think the kids crave the outdoors as much as their mom, so we plan on taking every advantage of the gorgeous spring weather while it lasts. I completely dread the day the hazy stickiness arrives. Ugh, let’s not even talk about it. Back to good stuff.

076079

We met a few friends at the park today, and knowing the babies might get jealous that the other kids get to run about, I brought my newly purchased leashes for when they got tired of being strapped in their stroller (aka: the link to my sanity in places such as parks.) I was a little nervous, knowing how my toddlers like to toddle in different directions, but gave it a go anyway. After they got used to the idea, they were loving life. We even had a small crowd at one point enjoying the silly display of me being pulled this way and that. Luckily, I have awesome friends that volunteered to take a kid and wander with them to give me a break. My friend’s daughters even took a turn. I’m thinking of hiring them every time I go to the park! Of course the kids tried to eat bark, rocks, garbage, and sticks, but overall, I’d say our first adventure with the leashes was a success. Those will come in handy for years, I’m sure. 081090091094

083

After I felt like I’d exhausted my helpers, I gathered the kiddos again, and the few of us with wiggly, bark-eating toddlers, decided to take a walk around the lake. The kids were wonderfully quiet, and we were able to chat away in the beautiful surroundings. Not to mention what great exercise it is pushing more than 75 pounds of kids, plus a rather large stroller. My stiff body enjoyed the little work-out. Such a nice way to spend the day.

And even though the babies didn’t do me the giant favor of taking the afternoon nap I was hoping would take place (so begins our one nap schedule), they still gave me a little quiet time, and kept me thoroughly entertained for the rest of the afternoon. Here is a tidbit. It was completely initiated by them alone. I literally walked into this lovely scene:

This one showcases Mr. B. a bit more that the other.

Oh, they make me happy. Tired, but happy. They went to bed, giggling, at 6, and we four adults enjoyed fresh, summery salads with warm bread for dinner on the patio. The weather was perfection. Ahh. . . lovely, lovely spring.

7 comments:

melody said...

I love Alex's close-up at the end of the first video. And Ruby talking, or "reading" aloud, is darling. And, as usual, Bennett melts me.

The leashes are awesome! Jonny says you should tie them to a tree and take it easy.

Lili and Jeff said...

You did great at the park! The babies looooved it. Perhaps you can just attach them to a post next time or work out some kind of Toby system? Ha ha.

Those videos reminded me completely of our old home videos of you and Melody. So cute!

Corinne said...

OH MY WORD. I love that you did that!! Nicely done!! I would never have survived without "the harness." At one time both Preston and Xavier were in a harness, how sad is THAT? 2 1/2 years apart. Seriously, what did parents do before them? I think I actually tied Xavier's to the stroller at one point :)

Matt said...

Love the Ruby-indian-chanty-reading-voice.

Tyra said...

The leashes are awesome! and cute, too. what a great idea!

SassyMama said...

Well done!
I am going to show my kids the pictures of yours in their harnesses... maybe I can then get mine to put on their backpacks without a complete meltdown. One can always hope!

Cami said...

But WHY won't spring come HERE?? I hate snow in April.

Seriously, it is like walking dogs. That is so funny. Toby system! Do it! A line in the back yard just out of reach of the stairs. That's the best idea ever.