Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Day Has Arrived.

Today was the day. The day that our whole family went to church and actually stayed for all the meetings. . .kind of. We did arrive late (I really wanted them to have a morning nap, which they did happily) and missed most of the first hour, but it’s a start. We strapped them into the stroller which we decided would be the best way to transport them from the car to the classroom as bulky as it may be. (They are fast these days, and it’s not too ladylike chasing kids in all different directions in a dress. And I don’t like making other people help us in and out every week.) We fed them some cheese sticks, crackers, and freeze-dried apples and called it lunch since it was about 11:00. As soon as that organ started playing postlude music, we headed to the nursery. I was actually nervous, and feeling a few butterflies in my stomach. I’m not sure if I was excited, scared, or anxious. When we joined the other five kids, and noticed a couple of the leaders were absent, we thought we’d stick around a while to see how things were going, along with a few other parents. The babies, of course, were thrilled with the the plethora or new toys (I’m making some progress in my germaphobic ways. . .I think). Ruby went straight for the dolls and strollers, surprise surprise, and the boys were very excited about the balls and giant Legos. One of the boys, Bennett I think, even ran up to me with bright eyes and speaking some happy gibberish to and show me the awesome toy he found. They weren’t shy with the other kids, and I think even found comfort in having each other. They were completely at ease, and were having a great time. After a little while, I went to Sunday School, and KC to tend to some business. My triplets were all in the hands of other people while I just went off on my own. Weird. 093098099

I was completely restless, looking at the clock every two minutes. I guess KC had returned not long after I left to lend a hand, and when I went to check up on things after my class, I was glad to see he was there to help. It was snack time. Capri Suns and Goldfish Crackers. It was adorable when I walked in and saw them sitting at the table with all the other kids. I couldn’t believe how old they looked. It made me a little sad, and proud at the same time. They were fine, having fun eating away, but I’m glad I came to check up on things. As sweet as it was, my kids and disposable straw-type drinks still have a way to go. They do great with sippy cups since they can’t squeeze those. But juice boxes/pouches are another story unless I hold it for them. They were all soaked soon after they were given this new and interesting object. We took off both of the boys’ soaked pants, which made for a great look for the rest of church. I ended up staying there for the third hour while KC took Ruby to his class and walked the halls a little for the last few minutes. I think she may have been getting a bit overstimulated from all the excitement. I think we all were. I sang a few of the kids' favorite songs. They joined me in the actions while the other kids just stared. Maybe I’ll have to join the nursery for some singing time now and then.103104105106108

All in all, I’d definitely call the day a great success. They were very well-behaved, played great with the other kids, which didn’t surprise me at all, and the best part was, WE ALL got a nap when we got home. A second nap is very rare these days, and how I needed it! I hope that turns into a Sunday tradition.

I know they’ll be fine without us. I stayed with them mostly for my own peace of mind. I’ll be a lot more comfortable when the other leaders are there to help. It’s weird to see how normal my life seems to become as the months pass by. Where have my tiny babies gone, and who are these darling little people?

060033111

A053B035R027

7 comments:

Cami said...

It sounds like a successful first try! I hope they have all the peeps they need next time so you guys can leave them there all alone! They look darling.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Millie has been going to nursery since she was 8 months old, because we were called to be nursery workers. She has loved it (and we've loved her being there) minus the 6+ colds this winter. :) Congrats on the big step!

Janice Graham said...

This is Mom. I'm going to have to make some prints of some of these. Ouch. I miss. So grown up.

Janice said...

Hooray! I agree - darling and they look so grown up. They will be the stars of the nursery with all the many words and animal sounds they know.

Unknown said...

Nice when they go into the nursery and start playing with the other kiddies.

Sarah said...

Fun! Congrats on making it through the first day. It only gets better.

melody said...

Oh man, they look so sold there in that classroom. And, yes, those Caprisuns can be very tricky!