Wednesday, March 28, 2007

3rd Year Mark!

Today as I was walking home from work I was observing the beautiful blossoms that have revealed themselves this week. I was really enjoying them and I had one of those flash back moments to the first day I was here in Maryland. As Dad and I were nearing Cami's house (my living quarters at the time) after the long three day drive from Utah to Maryland, I was welcomed to this new place with such beauty. It was almost as if the blossoms were assuring me that I had made the right decision to make such a change to my life. Then, I was thinking that since these blossoms bring back such fond memories of that time, I'm probably nearing the actual date I arrived, and that day happened to be today! March 28, 2004 was the day my life really took off. I had a week to settle in and prepare for my first day of school--touring the campus (very small at the time. They have since expanded.), finding a good commute in this crazy place, unpacking, becoming acquainted with the nephews I was living with, etc. It was so exciting for me. It was quite a distance from home, but somehow this situation was easier than being at USU for the one semester I endured. It was hard to leave Mom and Melody crying together on Mom's bed as we departed at 5:00 am, but as soon as my tears quit, the adventure began. Cami made my room such a great place for a young adult to live. I had never had my own room before that. Crazy, huh? It was a fresh start to my humble life. I was ready.

A lot has happened since and I am proud to say that I would never take back the decision I made 3 years ago to come here. I love the life I've developed here. I've met so many amazing people in my professional and personal lives. I graduated from L'Academie de Cuisine in the Pastry Arts Program and with it came great opportunities and unforgettable memories. I met my crazy awesome husband who constantly makes me happier to have made this decision. I've learned countless things about myself through trials and times of joy. I've become closer to the family I do have here. (Cami can take some of the credit for my position if she wants. She helped my find the school and opened her home to me for as long as I needed.) And great things continue to happen. It has had it's share of difficulties. Being so far from my the rest of my family has been tricky. Especially from Melody. We always thought we go through everything together. I guess we still are, just with a couple thousand miles between us. Our cell phones have served us well.

I'm not sure how much longer well be here before life takes us somewhere else, but I'll always carry the fond memories I've created. I really found out who I was here, and I'm sure there is still a lot to learn. I can't wait to see what happens next.

BTW, pic above was taken about 2 years ago and lots of you have seen it before, but it's one of few blossom pictures I have. That will change this year.

7 comments:

mylittlegems said...

I love that picture- it is so pretty! There is nothing of such color here in the desert. Everything is brown brown brown! Loved seeing blossoms and green grass.

Cami said...

Yez, I will take credit for ALL your happiness, AND that picture! Ha! We always loved having you here and we're still so glad you guys are around. You definitely found a great husband, and your culinary skills are always appreciated. And no matter what my boys say, they love you every bit as much as KC!!

Janice Graham said...

I love this post. Emily, you are amazing. Love, Mom

Corinne said...

Auntie, i am so glad you came here too. You're such a sunshine :)

Sarah said...

It's hard to believe that it has been three years. Sometimes it seems like just a few days ago that we all split from LPHS but then, it has seemed like you have been in DC always. I guess you have made your place there and it is fitting you.
BTW - when are you two going to move back. I miss you!... Or maybe we will move out there.

melody said...

I realized the three year mark (the month of March) as well. You're right , Em. It hasn't been easy but I think we have both experienced adventure and happiness as we've discovered our own identities. I miss you every day, but I'm so thankful you bravely pursued your dream. And it's always such a comfort knowing K.C. and the MD fam are looking after you. I love you more than my color . . . me mine mug. (Sorry to others, inside joke. Twins can and should have those!)

Amber said...

I can't believe it has been three years! That is craziness! We miss your guts, but I'm so happy you met K.C. and went to Chef school. I wish you were going to be here in two weeks when I have to make a cake with Katy for Achievement Days mother daughter activity! We would kick some trash with your expertise!