Saturday, March 03, 2007

Happy Anniversary to us!

Well, we did it. We made it through a whole year of this amazing thing called marriage. Man how time flies. It's weird to think of all the changes that have taken place and how I feel so seasoned to all of them already. I guess that's how you know it's meant to be.

So we decided to take a little getaway for a night to a little town called St. Michaels, MD. We had looked around at other places, but this town really stuck out. We stayed at the Harbour Inn in a jacuzzi suite. We had a cute balcony overlooking a doc and numerous boats. It was perfect. Better than we thought when we booked it. I tried to forget about my newly developed sore throat, and my continuing sinus problems. My throat drops and Day/NyQuil have been my constant companions these past couple weeks. I still had a good time despite this inconvenience.

St. Michaels is one of those towns that has antique stores all over the place that look like cute houses. I'm not into antiques, but it's fun to go to these small towns anyway. I like finding funny restaurants to eat it, and maybe stumble across some shopping along the way. I think someday, we'll retire in a town like that. I was quite jealous of the gorgeous houses I'd see across the water whenever I'd look. There are all a picture perfect with their own docks, and trees surrounding the other side. What a life.

After our breakfast at a cute little restaurant, we checked out of the inn and went to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. It was interesting and fun to see how boats are built and how the bay has evolved over the decades. It couldn't have been more perfect weather, and it was the grand opening for a new exhibit. They sold soup and bread in a grassy area and we partook. The cream of broccoli felt good to the throat. This is a picture of a lighthouse we walked through. It was so picturesque.

We had a great times, and the best part was that we celebrated a year of such happiness, and so many changes. We've learned a lot and still consider ourselves newlyweds since we know we still have a lot to learn. The traditional gift for the first year of marriage is paper, if any of you didn't know. I got KC and origami kit and I think that should keep him occupied until next year. A friend at the hospital printed me a list of all the traditional gifts for each significant year. Next year is cotton. It's silly, really. I think I've decided that ice cream should be added to every year as well. Sound good?

All I can say is that I'm a lucky girl to have a guy like mine. Sometimes, when I'm acting a certain way, or we're in a particularly difficult situation, I think of what it would be like if I didn't have someone as understanding, and exceptionally kind as he is. Not only to me, but to everyone he meets. Sometimes, even when we're watching TV or a movie, fictional or non, and someone is sad or something bad happens to them (as often happens in the media) he'll let out a little, sympathetic "oohhh". It makes me smile that he feels even for people he doesn't know, or might even not be real. I just know he'll always take very good care of me and our future family. There's much much more to say, of course, but the continuation might drag to all of you. I'm just happy to know that I can say countless good things about my husband after only one year. I can't wait to see how the list grows over the years.

7 comments:

Janice Graham said...

Thank you Emily for the wonderful account of your anniversary and sharing your feelings about being married. Some people have a hard first year. But mine was heavenly and it sounds like yours was too. What lovely photos. A great place.

I'm so grateful for KC. Thanks,KC for being such a good husband to my Emily.

mylittlegems said...

How fun! You sound very mature for being so young and married a year! Enjoy the fun times, the kids will come soon enough and lots will change. When we had our 1st Anniversary, we had Landon, who was 3 weeks old. We tried to go out to eat, and it was a disaster w/ a nursing and screaming 3 week old baby. Anyway, looks fun! We wish we could do that :) enjoy it

Cami said...

That looks so fun! I'm glad you commemorated your time together instead of just babysitting for us or something . . .:) You guys are great together. Love you!

erika said...

happy anniversary em! i hope that my first year of marriage is as good as yours!

Hannah said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember being so excited to say the amount of "years" rather than "months" we had been married after our first anniversary. Time flies, huh?

Amber said...

I can't believe it has already been and year, and that Drew has been out for a year! You guys are so cute-we miss your guts!

Sarah said...

You guys look like you had a great anniversary. TIme sure does fly. It just seems like yesterday I was at your wedding. I hope you anniversaries will continue to get better through eternity.