Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Revitalizing my warbobe

The other day I was trying to get ready to go somewhere besides work that required more than my smock and khakis. I was annoyed with all the old/hardly ever worn clothes I have taking up precious space in my tiny apartment. I decided that this is it, the day I will clean out and get rid of all and any things I didn't wear. What is the point? I know we all do this. We keep something on hand just in case. In case we lose/gain weight, in case we wear it with something that will cover up that tear or stain, in case it comes back into style, and the list goes on. I pride myself in being able to get rid of things with out thinking twice, but some clothes are really hard to part with. But I let that thought go today and have a garbage bag full of clothes to give to good will. Man, it feels good. Along with letting go of my old clothes, I am also trying to let go of the style that existed when I purchased those articles. Since mom is in town, I have used her as my shopping companion and she has proven to be good luck. Sometimes when I shop I feel like there is nothing out there that is in my price range, and a style that I feel comfortable in. I find myself buying the same t-shirts over and over, just different colors. Those have a purpose, but I wanted a little more variety. With mom I found a dress, several shirts, and two pairs of jeans that are seriously hard to find as so many girls know. And almost all were for pretty good prices. Sometimes even I believe you have to spend to get quality. They are also a little different style than what I normally look for, but it is a welcomed change. Lili would be proud. We went into stores that I usually walk right by to get to my three regular stores. It made shopping more fun rather than a chore which is what it feels like when you are trying to find something specific. I promised KC this is all I'm going to buy for a while. And I really mean that. I don't generally like shopping unless I know exactly what to get and exactly where to get it. I'm not the kind of person that shops and forgets what shes buys the next day. A lot of thought goes into my purchases and I really value the things I earn. Maybe that's why it's hard for me to get rid of them sometimes.

I know this post might sound superficial writing so much about silly clothes, but I think that by freshening up something you see everyday, whether it's clothes, rearranging the furniture, or making all new recipes for a week, it can really add a little bounce to everyday life. Changes are good.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I am the same way. I looked in my closet the other day and noticed that almost all the clothes were the same - all solid colors and a few with horizontal stripes. (Even my scrubs are just solid colors...sad) So then i went out and bought the shirt I wore Valentine's day. Ariel was a little surprised.

melody said...

YES! Throwing things away, or giving them away, is so refreshing. I took several bags to DI when we moved. I think it would be good to clean out my closet every year. Remind me, okay! We can do it together - even if just over the phone.

mylittlegems said...

Change is good- today I totally changed Landon's room around, rearranged all his toys, cleaned out his clothes, etc. and I am exhausted! Good for you for getting rid of clothes! I just thought I should get rid of some of my shoes I haven't worn- but I haven't yet.

Cami said...

I don't think clothes are silly. It's important to feel put together and really really important to feel like your clothes fit. I have a horribly stuffed closet full of clothes that don't fit me, but I change size so often I really have a hard time getting rid of things. But I' should try anyway!

Amber said...

My rule is that if I haven't worn it for a year (unless pregnant or post pregnant) then out it goes! Also, I think we get sick of our clothes when seasons change because we are excited for the different weather and outfits that go with that weather!

Janice Graham said...

That was fun shopping with you, Mimi. I like how you know what you need and are so decisive. Speed shopping is the only way. You should put a photo of you in that cute dress you wear with the belt you got at Gap Kids -- yes, everybody, the pastry princess can wear a kids' size belt!