Friday, March 09, 2007

All the President's Pastries

Today as I was cleaning my kitchen and listening to the Today Show in the background. I heard them talking about a clip coming up about the White House pastry chef. Everyone is so fascinated with the way the president eats I suppose. As it came on I recognized the voice of the Chef they were working with. It was Chef Roland Mesnier, the former White House pastry chef and last I heard he was back as a Pastry Instructor at the culinary school I attended, L'Academie de Cuisine. He also started the the pastry program there in 1979 and taught there until 1988 when he was hired at the White House. He spoke at my graduation and I have a signed copy of his cookbook Dessert University. He also has a book All the President's Pastries that I don't have. He seems a little hoity-toity as most french chefs are, but he is very talented and very famous in the culinary world all the same. He is the man next to my mom in the above picture. The other is a fellow classmate. It was taken a while ago. We had a nice talk he knows so much. It was just funny to see him on TV. I'm not sure why there is a new chef at the White House. The word was he retired, but I think there were some personality errors between the first lady and him. That was another speculation, anyway. I don't know the details, but when they hired a new pastry staff, they asked my school to submit some names for potential pastry cooks to work part time for parties and such if they needed extra help. My instructor took me aside one day and asked me if I was up to some extra hours at the White House if needed. I of course said yes and was flattered that he would ask me. I told a lot of people that I was considered and was pretty excited. It didn't end up happening, which really is for the best since that is the time that I started dating KC, but the opportunity to be on a list of only a few names was pretty exciting for me. KC warned me that I probably shouldn't tell anyone since it was probably not going to happen, but who could resist. It was funny, people kept asking me when I start there, and some people assumed that I had already started because I led them to believe it was a done deal. I was just excited. I want to clear up now, I was considered for a position, and never got it. At least it makes a good story.

2 comments:

Cami said...

That's funny! You were living with us at the time. It seems so long ago. I'd like to point out that I met that dude too.

melody said...

Yes, I remember when you called me with your news. It's all for the best, though. I bet you'd rather cook and bake for K.C. than George W. anyway!