Thursday, March 29, 2007

He's more afraid of me...

I stepped out of the shower this morning to a big, brown, harry, spider starring right at me. I haphazardly wrapped my towel around myself and scrambled to grab the Hot Shot bug spray from the closet right next to me. The spider disappeared under the door to the hallway, where the floor conveniently has the same hue as my eight legged friend. I tried to keep an eye on it as it scurried to a small stack of things in a corner and disappeared again. I had to start lifting things up just waiting for it to jump out at me. My heart was pounding, my hands were shaking and my hair was dripping onto the floor as I waited for it to make itself available to finish the task I was determined to do. And then I looked down to the middle of the open area where I had been looking and there it was, as if from mid air, like it wanted me to hot shoot it away. So I took my first shot. . .and second and third and, well I sort of lost count. I just kept shooting andhe just kept going. I'm sure the first was enough, but I didn't want to let this guy get away. It ran behind the closet doors from out room that we have propped up in the hallway. I even shot it as it went behind them. It came out the other end accompanied by a conglomeration of dust (emarrassing for me) stuck to it's little poison soaked exoskeleton. It's crawling then became slower and uneven and I knew my job was done. It was really a pitiful sight. This was a pretty big spider. The kind that seem bigger (I'd say about 2 inches) when sprawled and crawling around, but when dead, curled up, and upside down, are a lot less intimidating. If you look closely in the picture you can see it's little footprints in from the moisture of the poison. I am sorry to any of you wouldn't-hurt-a-fly people, but this is my domain, and I will do what I will to protect myself-or KC will when he is home. So I had a substantial area of my hallway covered in bug poison and and culprit in the middle of it. So I scooped him and said farewell in the garbage can, rubber gloved myself and scrubbed the area thoroughly. Then I went to buy more sticky traps to put in every corner. When I was in the car another smaller member of the spider family crawled along the inside of my windshield. No fun. Maybe with the new cleaning chart I made for myself, Ill be more thorough in my checking of the nooks and crannies. The bugs are going to feel more welcome here with the warm weather. You may think I overreacted about this situation, but a spider that big in an apartment so small can be quite alarming. I really don't like spiders. They are worse than snakes in my opinion. My computer is acting weird so I better post before something happens. Pictures to come.

7 comments:

Cami said...

AAAAUHGHHHAHHAJHAHAHHSFASDFHAHHHHHH.
I hate spiders. We had most of them in our little basement apartment, and it was frightening. Good luck with that. But I still think it has nothing to do with your cleaning abilities.

Cami said...

Oh my gosh, Emily. That is a really disgusting-looking spider. Ugh. I love the footprints, though.

Janice Graham said...

I don't know what the big deal is about spiders. Snakes are WAY worse. I can't even describe how much worse they are. But a lot of people do seem to hate spiders. Hasn't anyone read Charlotte's Web????

Janice Graham said...

But that WAS a shockingly large one . . .

melody said...

Sorry I wasn't there to step on him for you, like in the old days . . . I recall you woke me up one night to kill a spider in the bathroom. Your fear of spiders is equivalent to mine of mice. Yikes!

melody said...

P.S. I like your new blog template. The polka dots were fun, but so is a change!

Amber said...

That is disgusting! Todd once watched a mouse die when he dumped plumbers glue on it. He said it was sad, but what do you do when they are in your domain. Did you watch Lost? I would have freaked out to see that big of a spider too!