Saturday, March 31, 2007

Latin dinner and dancing

Our ward consists of many different cultures. A couple of our friends are from Colombia, and the Dominican Republic. They decided to show us all a little Latin fever with some good eats and sweet moves. A group of us met at a restaurant and dance club called Los Arrieros. It was a great place. The music was way too loud, but that's all part of the experience I suppose. I was sitting by my friend who's husband is from Colombia and I think she went on a mission there too, so she told what what I should get to get a good taste of Colombian cuisine. We tried a creamy passion fruit drink, an appetizer of a plantain, guava, cheese baked thing that KC picked out. They also had Dominican dishes, and some well known Mexican. I wanted to try something new so she told us to try the platter you see here. It was definitely enough for two. I'm not sure what's it's called but it was very good and very different. There was beef, pork, beans, rice, a fried egg, fried plantains, a slice of avocado, and a corn cake of some sort. We liked all the flavors. A little different than we're used to. We worked off the great food with a little dancing. We tried to pick up a few steps from our native friends. We mostly just did our own thing. There are a couple pictures, but they are pretty embarrassing so I'll spare you. I did have my new red heels on, so maybe those covered up any imperfections in my dancing abilities. It wasn't too crowded which was nice. They bring out a live band at midnight or something, but we were gone before then. They make you pay $20 per person if you want to dance to the live music. We were fine with the music that was being played. They even had a Latin soap opera playing, but no one could really hear it. We had a great time with our friends. Maybe next time I do a themed dinner weekend, I'll try the Latin Flava. I'll have to get some recipes from my friends. And then I'll make KC dance with me after to get the whole experience. I'm sure our apartment will feel like just like Central America. Adios Amigos.

5 comments:

Corinne said...

Hey - I see LOTS of familiar face in that picture! Wahoo!!

Corinne said...

I mean faces, thanks :)

Amber said...

You guys are so adventurous!

Cami said...

cute! That looks way fun. Jake and I always make fools of ourselves on the dance floor, but we have fun anyway!

Janice Graham said...

Wow. What a big group. I wish you had put the dancing pics up. I want to see the red shoes ( and the green blouse).