Thursday, March 22, 2007

Why why why!!

This is too long, and has probably turned out sounding like a pity party for me, but I'm trying to see if others can possibly relate. I just don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate. Why must I always act so pleasant to other people while they feel free to do the opposite to me? Of course I know that answer to that. I don't want to stoop to their level. I just encounter so many different personalities each day, it can get pretty frustrating. I never know what I am going to get when I come face to face with the new mother in her most vulnerable state. A lot of moms are excited and happy to do the minimal tasks I ask her to do (sign a simple consent form, and provide a few pieces of information), but others make it seem like I asked them to give me a lock of their hair. They act like I am their enemy and they sometimes treat me like it. I know that this is a special time for them, but I think it's okay to interrupt their watching of Jerry Springer, or People's Court to take their babies first picture, which they said they wanted. They have an option. I don't interrupt them when their sleeping, in pain, or with a member of the hospital staff. I know that those things come before pictures. I can usually be in and out of a room rather quickly, helping the mom through the whole process and answering her questions thoroughly to make sure she feels good about this experience. I wouldn't want to be the one to ruin this precious time she is having with her newborn. I have even helped change clothes, diapers, called nurses for them, found out answers to questions that are not related to my job at all, took pictures that they are happy with (sometime they demand retakes because for the silliest reasons) sometimes in broken Spanish, while I'm sweating from their 100 degree room temperature and all with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. That's not to say that the second I step out of the room my smile doesn't turn right upside down. Why can't others put their problems aside for a few minutes to make the situation enjoyable for the people around them? I just don't like it when someone throws me off my groove making this whole process longer and more difficult than it needs to be. I have become a person who finds the fastest and least motions way to do everything, like my dad. This whole rant was triggered by an experience I had today with a couple. They just didn't have a lot of consideration for me and I'm sure others that they encounter each day. I was as nice as I could be and took pictures exactly how they wanted them, and still it took me a whole hour to be done with them. They decided they had to take a phone call, they changed the babies clothes as slooooooooly as possible, decided they wanted retakes, etc. Some people just think that the world owes them a favor and they can act rude to everyone in their path to get it. Of course, there are people daily who act completely opposite. I have met mothers that have been extremely sweet, helpful, and I have even made friends with some of them for the short time they were in the hospital. This job can be very rewarding and easy. Dealing with all these people just makes me realize how much of an impression our attitudes have on others and it makes me want to always put my best face on wherever I am. I am learning a lot, not only about the whole hospital experience when I have a baby, but I'm leaning a lot about myself and my true character. That's why we are all so different, so we can learn from each other. I hope I can keep up this smile, even if it's fake, when I'm in a situation I'm not exactly happy with.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Ugh. That sounds horrible. I'm sorry people are so dumb. It's hard to put a smile on your face and act like everything's ok when you're really gritting your teeth.

Corinne said...

I wish you weren't dealing with crabby people. I know it's hard to keep a cheery face. You're doing really good!!

Matt said...

Let it out Sister... Sometimes people are just no darn good.

Sarah said...

I am sorry to hear that you had a hard day, and maybe more than one. It does seem like you are doing something that everyone would like... but then again there are people in this world who like to make everything in life seem like a bothersome to them (probably even having their baby). It is so hard to overlook that. But of all the people, I think you are one of the poeple who do it best.

Janice Graham said...

Mimi,I love how you are writing your feelings down. You have always been one to figure things out and learn from them. I know you are a delightful person in the workplace and a good example.

Amber said...

Todd has the same complaints about some of the people he has built houses for. They think they are the only people in the world and call him all hours of day and night, weekends etc. That can make for a long 6 months.