Monday, March 03, 2008

I feel like a sub sandwich

"Would you like oil and vinegar?" This is a question I have always said yes to at any sandwich place. Little did I know I'd also be saying yes to using as my facial treatment as well. Here's the story.

The girls in my family are prone to eczema starting at about age 19. Blame it on cleaning chemicals, dry winter weather, stress or just genetics, but we've got it. Some of us have it worse than others. I have had a few bouts here and there due to repeated hand washing, and constant introduction of new substances while I was working in the kitchens, but nothing too serious. A few months ago I found a small red patch was on my chin thinking it was a normal blemish, I thought it would go away in a day or two. But when it started to spread and another spot was forming, I made the diagnosis that it was eczema. Cami has an ointment that works rather well, but still didn't take it completely away and more patches were forming. With out using the cream it really began to take over and become quite painful and itchy, and more parts of my face were forming patches. So I made an appointment for the doctor and bought something over the counter to hold me over. I was also using a pretty harsh facial treatment which was probably drying my skin out even more and aggravating it. The medicine I bought made it worse and so I started to look for home remedies for this annoying problem. I found a particular forum where numerous people swear the apple cider vinegar is the only thing that has worked to cure their life long eczema. Some people have horrible cases all over their body. I'm very fortunate that is not my case. But, I thought I might as well give it a try and use it as a spot treatment. Someone also added that they use Olive oil as a moisturizer since petroleum based products are prone to cause more heat production drying out the area even more. So with a few changes to my daily routine: cold water when washing my face with a mild face wash, sleeping with a cool mist humidifier, a good moisturizer, and my acv spot treatments (there is a temporary sting that I brace myself for when applied), with my olive oil spot moisturizer, it is truly making the long lasting, seeming incurable, inflamed eczema dissipate before my eyes. I seriously saw a difference within hours. It's been several days and it hasn't completely disappeared, but it has changed dramatically. Who would've thought? I am truly grateful. It's really been occupying my thoughts and I was pretty stressed out about it, which was probably making it worse. I am still going to the doctor today to get a real diagnosis, and probably a prescription if it will make it go away faster. But If I hadn't already made this appointment, I'd probably not have made it knowing what I know now. I think I'll get charged if I cancel now anyway. I suppose it's good to play it safe.

Now, I know that you might not have wanted to hear all about my skin imperfections and my facial regime, but I'm hoping that I might help others with this pretty common annoyance. Now I am not much of a holisitic healing, home remedy person (have you heard of the blue man. Yikes!). I like a good old fashion perscription, but I thought it wouldn't hurt. I also found out, and you might be interested to know that acv has many health benefits. It's supposedly a miracle cure to a number of ailments. Here's a little info. I'm still a little sceptacle, but after this, I might have a little more fath in this strong smelling substance. Or maybe I'll use this new found knowlege to allow myself to eat more of my favorite salt and vinegar chips. Hmmm... somehow I don't this the health benefits will be the same.

5 comments:

Cami said...

Nice job! I am really going to try it for sure!

Sarah said...

Cool! I love home remedies - much cheaper. (I am totaly cheap... in almost all ways)

Kristy said...

apple cider vinegar is amazing! It really does so many things. cleaning, making some foods taste good, and now curing eczema? who would have thought! that is great to know.

Danielle said...

Emily,
I saw your blog from Melody's and i noticed that you live out near DC. I have a brother who is serving a mission in Baltimore right now. So you're there pretty close to him I think. I enjoyed looking at all the food you've made, it sure makes me want to cook! Danielle

melody said...

Thanks for documenting this! I am so glad things are looking better for you in the skin department. I am one of the lucky Graham girls who only gets one or two pea-sized patches of eczema each winter. But should my luck take a turn for the worse, I will try this for sure.