Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Happy Kissiversary!

I like St. Patrick's day alright. It's nothing too exciting unless you are in elementary school and you get green frosted sugar cookies, and green punch or something. But I have found that it is fun for me for a few reasons:First of all, it is the anniversary of KC's and my first kiss, and dtr. We can all assume that the kissing didn't stop there. This is the 3rd anniversary of the blessed event. I told the whole story previously, so I won't rewrite it all to keep from being redundant.

The next reason is that it's the only day that you can talk about the color green without referring to saving the earth. If I hear the phrase going green one more time...I'm all about not littering and stuff like that. I even recycle but probably only because Cheverly makes it very convenient. But it just seems like a silly trend, the phrase doesn't even make sense, and I'm so over it. But I will wear the color, especially on March 17th. Oops, I didn't mean to rant, it just came out.

And of course, the excuse to make a fun traditional foods like Irish Stew and Soda Bread. I didn't fully take advantage of this one though. We were having the elders over and I had meat loaf on my mind for some reason. But I did pair it with the soda bread. I even purchased a corned beef brisket and cabbage at the store yesterday, but just wasn't in the mood. Sometimes I feel like traditions are confining and annoying. And I don't like barriers. So maybe deep down I didn't follow the tradition out of spite. And anyway, Easter is coming up with all sorts of fun traditional foods. Ham is a tradition I'm happy to keep.

KC comment on St. Patty's day is that it's "the dumbest holiday ever." It is pretty pointless, which I's sure is what he meant. But I think he said it because it was right after he was pinched for not wearing green.


6 comments:

Hannah said...

:) Funny how some of us can't get enough holidays and others think there are too many. I am all about traditions...but I think having kids made them more exciting. We love your stew and soda bread recipes!

Matt said...

I'm with you. "Going Green" is lame.

I don't like boundaries either. Jack seems to make up his own holiday traditions. Yesterday he said... "Dad, I smoke at school all the time... .. .. SAINT PATRICKS DAAAAYYY!" Turns out any holiday when you don't get presents is an excuse for practical jokes.

Good job remembering your kissiversary though. I have no idea when ours is.

Cami said...

Yes, lame. I actually didn't even wear green at all. I was more concerned that it was spring break.

Woods said...

Oh wow, I missed St. Patty's Day! Good thing I read your blog so I can remember holidays. I'm impressed you remembered your first kiss from Kc. I love it!

melody said...

Ha! Jonny is totally with KC on the lameness of the holiday. In fact, he pinched me three times. Of course I was wearing green, and I tried and tried to pinch him back (10 times for each illegal pinch, I believe) but with no luck. I was a little upset, actually.

Unknown said...

I do agree with traditions, but st. patty's is not the one for me. Your soda bread looks divine, I will have to give it a try! props on remembering your first kiss...I only know ours becuase it was the first night we met. yikes!