Thursday, April 17, 2008

Papal Visit

I'm sure everyone has heard that Pope Benedict XVI is visiting the states right now, more specifically, DC and NY. He is literally a 15-20 minute drive (well with all the crowds, probably a longer drive today) from my house in a stadium that they have transformed to hold Mass for the masses. Literally tens of thousands of people are there, and I heard there were requests for tickets way beyond the number that the stadium allows. I do think it's great that people are so devoted and so honored to be in the presence of the leader of their religion, but there were some interviews I saw on tv that had me asking myself a few questions. It seems that as dedicated as these people seem, are they more focused on the man, or his teachings? I think it's wonderful when people really believe in their religion and live by it according to it's doctrine, even if I don't particularly believe it is true. I think it's so important to believe in something, than nothing. A large percentage of my friends and acquaintances here in the east are not members of the LDS church, but most still have a firm set of religious beliefs that I can mostly relate to, which gives us a lot to talk about. So I don't want people to think I am not appreciating that people are so excited about their form of worship. But at some points during all the news coverage leading up to this Papal event, people just kept talking about how they just want to be in his presence, or have a chance to touch him, or be near him. This seems more like the feelings we should have toward our Heavenly Father rather than his messenger. I think it happens in the LDS church as well. I love the prophet and all the leaders of the church, but I know that if I saw them in person, I would treat him with the utmost respect, of course, but also remember that they are human just like me. I don't think the prophet even likes it when people give him a celebrity status and treat him like his is actually God himself. He is a man of great knowledge and and responsibility, but I think he'd rather be looked at as a good example, or a teacher. I'm sure he wishes everyone just looked to him as a window to God and his teachings. And maybe most people do look at him that way, I just seem to feel that is not always the case. I just hope that the people in that Stadium today, while respecting the Pope for all his hard work, remember that he is merely one of God's servants. I am ashamed to say that I don't know much about the Roman Catholic beliefs. But I think I am right in saying that the Pope is a representative, not God, and would like people to believe as such. I'm sure the service will be spectacular, the believers will definitely learn a lot from it.


4 comments:

Cami said...

I agree. It was on all the TVs at the gym today. It seemed a little idol-worshipy to me.

emilie s. d. p. said...

Well said. I think it's easy for people to forget that the leaders of their faith are merely servants of the Lord, no matter what there calling may be. I know it happens in all religions to some degree.
The best way you can show your love for a religious leader is to follow their teachings which will lead you to the true center of worship, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

And can I just say that I'm SO glad your internet is back up! I love reading your posts :o)

Lili and Jeff said...

Dieta, huh? Sounds good to me! Yes, it is incredible the society we live in. Even the most religious people can be blinded by hero worship. It is important to always remember that we are all human for sure. We are all Heavenly Father's children, and no one person is better than another in God's eyes. But we are rather lucky to have a person on this world that communicates with God for us!

Drew said...

I agree, Emily. I feel like the leaders of churches, if they have their hearts in the right place, wouldn't really WANT all that praise of man and attention in that way. I am so grateful for the continued revelation and living prophets we enjoy in the Church, but they are human just like us. We always have to remember that we're all children of God. Some are given certain keys and responsibilities, but we must remember that the point of prophets and apostles is to point to Christ.