Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Feeders and Growers.

That is the term for the status of our team of babies at this point. No medications, no IVs, getting milk for all their nutritional needs, and gaining weight everyday! Just like they are still in mommy growing, but they are outside growing instead. We continue to get great daily updates from the doctors. They already look so different from when they were born only a week and a half ago. Luckily we've taken a million pictures to document the changes. The boys nasal cannulas have been removed, and Ruby's will probably come out today. We LOVE seeing their entire faces, sans tubes and sunshades (for when they are under photo therapy for jaundice). And, up until yesterday Ruby and Bennett have been next to each other, while Alex has been on the other side of the room all lonely. But the baby next to the other two got discharged, leaving the space wide open for Alex to join the party. We take up a whole wall all by ourselves now. I'm so happy they are reunited, even if they don't know the difference. It helps my hobbling body to not have to walk too far to see each one of them.

We've noticed some little personality traits coming through. Bennett has shown a feistier side, which we are very happy about since he has always been the smallest of the three. He'll definitely know how to take care of himself. He's finally off of the photo therapy after being under them for a few days (they'll go off and on those for a while), so we were so glad to finally give him some cuddle time last night.

Ruby likes company. When she's awake, she loves looking at the faces surrounding her isolette. She looks from side to side, taking in all the smiles around her. She is also getting tired of that cannula in her nose. She yanks on it a lot.I also included a short video of her since I didn't have one last time.

And Alex loves to sleep. He probably has the cutest sleeping face I have ever seen. He finally got a turn kangarooing with me. I just can't get enough of their tiny warm bodies against mine. I can't wait until my quality time with Bennett. We've also noticed some chubbiness in Alex's little cheeks! Here's KC imitating his son. Can't you see the resemblance?

So that is what's been happening around here. Mom, Dad and Grandma left this morning, so maybe I'll be blogging more. Partly as a distraction and to prevent myself from freaking out and bursting into a fit of hormonal tears. My mom who has been here with me for over a month, is now across the country. I'm not even going to deny that I am a bit terrified of being alone right now, after having constant supervision for so long. But it's time for me to regain my independence, and I am feeling a bit better everyday. I don't even know what is in my fridge, and there is clutter on too many surfaces. I have plenty to do to keep me occupied, and I really miss my friends. But it doesn't make me miss my mom any less. I just have to keep remembering that she'll be back, plus lots of other visitors when the babies come home. I can't wait.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet em. I can't get enough of those tiny ones, and what a blessing they are so healthy!

I'm glad to hear your feeling a little better, you look great!

Karlene said...

Oh thank you for all the pictures!! It's so fun to see them growing stronger and stronger!! They are so precious!!

Kassi said...

Your babies are so beautiful!!! I am so happy for you and them that they are healthy and gaining weight. Thank you for sharing these sweet memories!

Marianne said...

Oh they are just DARLING! I love their little expressions. I wish we were closer... I would be coming to see you all the time! You look great! (And KC did show a striking resemblance...)

Janine said...

I am glad to hear everyone is growing and doing well. You guys look so happy, and we are delighted to see your little ones grow!

k d L said...

what a miracle that they are all so healthy! they are SO cute!!!!! i can't stop checking your blog for more pictures. :)

melody said...

It's so fun that you can already see their personalities coming through (as you probably did when they were inside of you as well). These pictures are excellent. I will surely come back later today and look at them all again - enlarged, of course! They are more darling with each post.

Anonymous said...

They look gorgeous Emily. You look so happy. Congrats to you both

Unknown said...

oh they are so cute! and I would like to say that Kamri was my fisty one and she was the smallest! but she caught up with kylee when they left and now weighs 3 pounds more than her. she seemed very determind to come home when we were in the nicu! but they are so adorable and you are looking great! Im glad things are going so good and they are gaining weight that is what we want to hear! and i just noticed that their feeding tubes were down their mouths. The girls were down their noses. oh so fun! give them hugs and kisses and tell them to keep up the good work!

Sarah said...

So so cute! I still can't get over how well they are doing. Good thing there is so much faith and prayers in your family :)
I know how you feel about your mom leaving - I was the same way. But in a way, it is nice - you are the mom now! Good luck. (ha - my word verification is readiness)

Spilter said...

They are so beautiful I can't get enough of them. Sorry about your mom and fam leaving it is so hard to be left. But I am happy for more blogging I love seeing your sweet ones! Keep getting better!! I am so happy for you guys.
Amber

The Girls' Mommy said...

Feeders and Growers already?? And no Iv and no O2? That's really awesome. Amazing. Congrats :)

Have they let you do a bath yet? Or a change at weigh in? That's always fun. One of the times I felt most like a mom, like they were really mine and not the nurses. Enjoy~

Shannon said...

Until my daughter was about 3 weeks old (maybe older) I'd burst into tears at the thought of my mom- she was with me over a week before she was born, then a week and a half afterward! I was convinced I had postpartum. But it was those psycho hormones! But enough about me!!

I'm so glad the babies are doing so well! I love checking up on them (even though you probably think I'm such a psycho stalker since you don't really even know me! I DID come to your wedding reception! :) )!

Janice said...

I love all the pictures! Just makes my day. I can't wait till we see them soon. Thanks for sharing all the good news. Those cheeks!

Jonathan and Janessa said...

I love reading your updates! It makes my day to see those tiny little angels. I'm so glad everything is going so well. I know there were lots of prayers on your part and a loving Heavenly Father looking out for your adorable family. Keep the pictures coming!

Lindsey said...

Emily, I cant get over how stinkin cute they are. You look great and are going to be the best mom. I am glad you have an awesome hubby there with you.

erika said...

This is like the millionth time I've looked at this post...I can't believe how beautiful your babies are! I am so happy for you guys!

Rachel said...

What cute babies...hopefully they will grow fast so you can enjoy them at home!

Tyler and Sunni said...

They are beautiful. I'm so glad they are all doing so well. I will be in Maryland in a couple weeks. I would love to stop by and say hi if that would be ok.