Thursday, October 15, 2009

Attatched to monitors

You may think I am talking about the babies when you read the title, but really I am talking about me. At first the monitors, probes, and alarms seemed pitiful and annoying. But now, after learning about the sounds and becoming used to what they numbers mean, I have come to rely on them to make sure the babies are doing what they are supposed to. For instance, when I am feeding them, If I ever wonder if they need a break or not, I just look at their heart rate, and breathing rate to make sure they are breathing normally. They are still learning the coordination of sucking, swallowing, and breathing, and sometimes they forget to do all of those, and want to stop the breathing part. So we just pat them on the back, stimulate them, and give them a breather from the sucking and swallowing parts while they collect themselves. They will learn all this in no time, but while they are still iffy, it's nice to have the monitors to make sure they are breathing okay. I hate to see them choking on their milk, which is pretty common for these little learners. But I am learning the cues, and becoming more aware of the warning signs, sans monitors. The babies are also getting better at eating everyday, and what used to take them 30 minutes to try and eat, now sometime takes them only 10 minutes. They still get a gavage feeding 1-2 times a day, or 2-3 for little Bennett who's smaller, and needs more breaks than the others. He'll catch up though. Anyway, I'm trying to keep my eyes off the monitors, and on the babies to wean myself for when we're home, and there's no alarms to tell me what's going on. Sometimes they do send babies home on portable monitors if they still have a couple alarms, but they are doing everything else they are supposed to do, but we're thinking at least two, if not all of them will catch on and stop those alarms from sounding.

So speaking of going home, they are seriously so close. I was a little shocked when speaking with the doctor last Friday and hearing her say that she would be very surprised if at least one of them was not going home in 10 days. I mean, I knew it was coming up, but 10 Days?! That's in like three days! I guess when things get moving, they really get moving. They are gaining weight properly (all over 4 lbs. as of Wednesday!), they are keep their body temperature normal, they are having fewer alarms, and are learning to take all of their food by mouth. These all are things they have to do to get out of their temporary home at the nicu. This is why I have been so busy the past few days. Not only because I was getting a few last minute things for them (we have most everything we need to welcome them home, but I just wanted to fine tune things a bit), and have been in a mad rush to get a few things done for me too. I kind of feel like when they are home I might never leave the house again, except to go to the doctor. So I wanted to get a haircut, stock up on groceries, make a target run or two, and anything else I can try to squeeze in before I get too hungry, too tired, have to pump, or it's time to feed the babies. There's not enough time in the day! As crazy as it might get when they are all home, at least we'll all be together, and I won't have to rush around all over Maryland. Thinking about all my babies just across the hall from me sound so wonderful. I can't wait to have them near me again.

So we've had a few visitors which I'll write about later when/if I have a few minutes to spare. Right now, I'm tired and must rest. Why am I taking up this precious time blogging?

Oh, and of course, here are some pics for you. They all had their eyes examined this week, so they had to have their eyes covered for several hours. I thought it was cute.

Alex


Bennett
Ruby (She gets three, just because.)

5 comments:

Kassi said...

They really are getting plump. Those sweet faces are so round and full. They are so precious. I bet you just kiss them non-stop when you hold them!

Janine said...

So cute! I enjoy the updates, and they are looking great.

Susan said...

It is precious time, but I'm sure you'll be so happy that you've journaled this stuff, and we're happy to hear all about it too. So thanks!

Tyler and Sunni said...

Em, I think Ruby is starting to look a lot like you. She has got your eyes

Nikki said...

They are getting so big! What cuties you have. It will be so wonderfully busy when they are all home with you!