Sunday, October 04, 2009

Changing every day.

Man, these babies can change so fast. Sometimes I see a difference from one day to the next. They are doing so well, and their cheeks continue to get chubbier. We still can't believe they are ours, and that the nurses call me the mom. But it always makes me feel like the luckiest, richest, and happiest person in the world.

Right now we are really paying attention to their weight gain and getting them to eat by mouth, whether it's by the bottle, or nursing. We have to start them now, even if they aren't very productive, because it will take a while for them to learn to suck, swallow, and breath at the same time. It's pretty advanced stuff for little babies that shouldn't even be born yet. They are gaining weight like champs, all over or around 3 1/2 pounds! Oh how I LOVE seeing them get some fat on those little bodies. And they are going to start weaning Ruby to an open crib. The boys will follow soon after, I'm sure. I'm just surprised at how fast things can get moving. Soon enough they'll be home, and life will be even crazier, and I can't wait!

And it wouldn't be a proper update without some pictures.

Alex

A rare occasion where he wasn't swaddled after he was bathed and weighed. I love the tiny clothes.

Who doesn't love getting their hair washed?

He gave us quite a selection of cute expressions. This is a favorite.

A very tired, but very happy mommy.

Bennett
He is always pulling on his gavage tube, so they have to reinforce it with some more tape, thus his white mustache.

Let's hope they do this a lot when they come home.

It's harder than it looks to teach a preemie how to eat. But he's doing great.

And, even though I don't have a recent video of the others to show, I couldn't resist posting this of Bennett. They'll get their turn another day. (Am I ever going to stop feeling like everything has to be completely equal?)

Ruby
Eating is very tiring. They usually give up after about 15 minutes.

Is it me, or are they looking almost like normal sized babies?

Getting toasty under a warming light after a bath.

Again, I hope they makes a habit of this kind of behavior.

So there are my sweeties for you. I'm more in love everyday.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute. It is amazing to see their progress. They look so different without the little tube in their mouths.

Hannah said...

oh my. they are darling! i love that last picture of ruby!

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

Reese says "their so cute and I love them and their lovely and I need to hold them next week."

Janice said...

They are definitely filling out their cheeks! Yum. I love them all.

melody said...

I think that close-up of Alex totally looks like KC.

Woods said...

Oh my goodness, they are growing so much everyday. They are all beautiful! I love the tiny clothes too! So cute!

Casey said...

Your babies are so precious! It's good to hear that they still are doing so well :)

Kassi said...

I love their little outfits. They are so precious! I am sure they will make a habit of sleeping a lot at home. And I really hope it is at night!

Sarah said...

Funny Mel said the close up of Alex looks like KC - because I thought it looked a little like JuJu.

Cami said...

I agree, that Alex face looks like KC. They are great!

Melissa said...

Cute, cute babies. BTW, I missed being pregnant when I had Andy early. It was a weird feeling. I would see pregnant ladies and wish I was still pregnant. I remember those SLOW feedings with Andy too. All the jostling, wiggling the bottle, etc. Those preemies are so sleepy. I let him sleep through the night once without feeding him and felt so guilty. Fun times. Your babies are darling and they are looking like regular size. I'm so excited for you. I hope this time flies by and you have them home soon.

Jann said...

They are just beautiful. It is so fun to see the pictures, and how they are changing.

Tracie Frost said...

The girls loved B's video. I'm so glad that they're already 3.5 pounds. That's really, really great! Get some sleep b/c they'll be home before you know it!

Susan said...

I am so glad you posted the video, It's so sweet to see the little expressions. I absolutely love watching babies *feel* their faces and look all around like they're exercising every muscle of their eyes and mouth and face. I too thought they looked like full-term babies, until I scrolled down to a picture with an adult hand in it, and it was pretty obvious that they're still tiny! But so darling!