Monday, October 26, 2009

The calm before the storm.

Up until today we weren't exactly sure when these babies were going to take up residence in their more permanent home with us. But we got the news from the doctor that we are only a couple days away! We were given the choice to either take Ruby first, and then add the boys a couple days later, or just take her at the same time. Looking at the challenges facing either of those options, I chose to have them all home at the same time. I couldn't bare to split them up for any amount of time, not to mention having to go back and forth to the hospital. So, all at once it is. And we are pretty positive that this will all take place on Wednesday night!

Ruby doesn't need one but the boys will still be on monitors just to play it safe, but that is fine with me. Better to be safe than sorry. It may be only for a couple weeks, and it's worth it for them to come home sooner. I just can't believe that this extended amount of time we've had at this hospital is almost over. We've been there everyday for the past 2 1/2 months. It's going to be a pretty hectic couple of days getting all their discharge stuff taken care of, and mom and I are in a kind of survival mode, trying to gear up for a life quarantined indoors with the babies. As nervous as this makes me, and as much as I know I'm going to miss my sleep, I seriously couldn't be more excited to have my babies in my arms whenever I want.

When they were first born, I was a little scared of their fragile and frail little bodies. I knew I couldn't take care of all of their needs in that state, so I was so happy to have the wonderful nurses and doctors doing that for me. But ever since they've been getting plump and eating well, I've been aching for my little ones to be in my own house, knowing that I am ready to take on the challenge. I am so in love with these babies. It gives me butterflies thinking of them so nearby. I feel as prepared as I could possibly be in this situation. I've spent so much time with them that I feel like I know their needs and wants already. I have my mom here to help with whatever I may need from her, and KC is the best dad a child could ask for. I think we're a great team for these babies to come home to. I'm not saying I don't freak out at times, but those feeling usually subside when they are replaced by excitement and joy when I think of having the family I have prayed for for so long. Oh man, this is gonna be fun.

I can't wait to welcome you home,

Alex,

Bennett,

and Ruby!
By the way, as much as we'd love for friends to come meet the littles, the doctors have been very adamant about making sure we don't let anyone with as much as a little sniffle come near them if we can help it. We're not even supposed to take them anywhere but the doctor all winter. If you want to come play, we'd love to see you, but would really appreciate it if you have a clean bill of health when you do. Thanks!

16 comments:

Hannah said...

Enjoy those last nights of sleep!!

They are getting cuter with every picture!

Cami said...

YAY! I'm so glad they're all coming home together. It will be so much easier. You'll do great!

Woods said...

How fun!! I can't believe they are already coming home, and all at once!! I'm so excited for you! You are going to be the best person for the job. Your babies are adorable! It will be fun to snuggle up with them all through the winter. You will love staying home all day with them. I'm so happy for you!

Janine said...

Good luck, and congratulations! I am sure everything will go well. It scares everyone to take a baby home for the first time. Brian and I had serious butterflies when we drove home with Cora and we didn't have special circumstances... and so I am sure that nerves will come in, but you guys will do great. :)

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

Hurray!!! it's finally time for them to come sleep in their own cribs! Good luck you guys. You will love it

Jann said...

That is so exciting. They are changing so much, and I love the pictures.

Corinne said...

Fantastic. and WONDERFUL!! What an adventure is THIS???

Susan said...

Hey! They're looking more and more like full-term newborns! Beautiful babies, each one!

Just a note: with all the flue info they keep sending us, one of them said people are very (most?) contagious the day *before* they get a fever. Just don't let anyone get away with not sanitizing or washing their hands first, even if they say they're healthy!

We're so excited for you guys!

k d L said...

congratulations. what a great answer to so many prayers. so happy for you!

melody said...

Yes, they are looking so much bigger. See you next week, babies!

Merinda Reeder said...

WAHOOOOOO!

Amber said...

That is so exciting! I am sure you will be super busy but what a dream, three beautiful babies of your very own!! They just keep getting cuter, every picture you post...if that is even possible. So happy for you guys.

Angela Draper said...

We are SO excited for you to bring those precious babies home! I think the car ride home is one of the most nerve racking things. Enjoy this wonderful time with them.

Melissa said...

How fun! Enjoy your babies. We were instructed to be home bodies for a few months too. A little ho hum but all for a good cause. It's much better to be without sickness.

The Girls' Mommy said...

SO exciting!!!!

From our winter preemie days: keep a huge bottle of Purel right inside the door and don't be shy about asking people to use it the second they walk in. They get so excited and want to go straight to the babies. Did you get home nurse visits or RSV shots?

Also, we ditched the bag the monitor came in and used a backpack instead. That way I could carry Gertie around the house and not feel tethered to the monitor base.

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you guys!

Luci said...

Congrats!! That's so exciting! ;)