Thursday, October 29, 2009

First days home.

This post has been in the works for quite sometime, so I'm hoping it actually gets posted this time. Bennett is on my lap as I type. The three of us have had a great time with the babies these past couple days. It's just amazing to have them here. I can't get over it. Of course there are times when they are all crying because they hungry, or for many other unknown reasons, and we all feel a little spent, but before long they are all sleeping and I forget I was ever overwhelmed because they are so angelic, peaceful, and adorable. My mom is a HUGE help with the feedings, and nights, and meals, among other things. We are just having so much fun cozying up and watching old movies while we are constantly feeding, and changing the babies. I also get to keep pumping to provide the milk for the third that doesn't get to nurse at every feeding. Hooray. They take turns, you see. But even amidst all that craziness, I have actually been able to get quite a few things done, and treated myself to a nice bubble bath. KC has taken the last few days off of work, and we're all getting this 3 hour feeding routine down. There are still come kinks to work out, but they all get fed. That's the important thing.

I have to say one frustration is waking up the babies to eat when they are sound asleep. Especially in the middle of the night when we want to sleep ourselves, but until they are big and strong, they have to eat all the time. It will be wonderful to let them sleep to their heart's desire. Of course, by then, they'll probably rebel, and wake up every 3 hours or less just to be funny.

Our biggest adventure was taking them to their first appointment to the pediatrician. They love riding in the car, we found out, and actually behaved extremely well for the doctor. They hardly made a peep as they all laid on the table wearing only their little diapers. It was so cute as were near each other skin to skin again. They haven't been like that since they were born. It was pretty funny when Ruby turned toward Alex and started licking his forehead. I guess she was a little hungry. He didn't seem to mind. And man, the boys sure are looking more identical everyday, especially when they are naked and right next to each other. The doc had only great things to say about my little loves, and we are happy to see that they are gaining weight well. Ruby at 5 lbs. 12 oz, Alex 5 lbs. 11 oz, and Bennett at 5 lbs. 4 oz. My, how my babies have grown.


We were fortunate to have a nurse from the hospital come do a follow up assessment at the house to make sure they are gaining weight well, and doing what they should. They passed her test, and she'll come do that again in a week to make sure all is ship shape. And a week after that we have appointments with the Ophthalmologist to see how they eyesight is developing, and another doctor to see about taking the monitors off. It's always an adventure to leave the house with everyone.



Here are some more pics of our first couple days at home.
Here's to more strength and naps as they days go on. These babies are worth every hour of sleep I don't get.

10 comments:

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

How Precious! what a load you have there!! enjoy the ride because before you know it they will be running around!! we love you guys congratulations

Janice said...

Thanks for the tons of photos. I put them on our digital frame on the counter. Makes them closer! Oh how I want to kiss those little necks! What a week! You are loved - all 6 of you!

Dawn said...

Can you tell the boys apart yet? They are perfect, all of em!

Corinne said...

MAN those pictures are fun!! Thanks for sharing!! How glorious to have them home. I love all the ones with your mom smothered in baby :)

Bean said...

Emily- that looks like our same pediatrician's office. I can tell by the fish mural on the wall with the peeling paint. And we were just there last week!
Looks like heaven...(the babies, not the fish)

Sarah said...

Can you believe it!? You have children?! Crazy. And cute.

Cami said...

I love all those nakey pictures! Such cuties. You are all working hard, but OH how wonderful they are! I was fun to see them today on the webbycam.

Tracie Frost said...

Sweetest! So happy that they are at home and thriving! There's nothing in the world sweeter than snuggling your own little newborn.

Unknown said...

You all are surely busy. And those slide shows - so cute.

Amber said...

I can't even imagine....it is hard taking one baby to the doctors. I am impressed! I am so happy for you guys. It is every Grandmas dream to have so many babies to hold. You know when you only have one you have to share.