Thursday, October 22, 2009

Little naked faces

I went into the nicu on Tuesday to find that both Ruby and Bennett were gavage-free at last! It took me a second to realize what was different since I didn't even really notice the gavage any more. I just LOVE those beautiful faces free from all tape and tubes.


The doctor has now put them on Ad Lib feeds, meaning, they are no longer required to eat a certain amount, but they can decide when they are done. There is a maximum amount that we don't want them to exceed, but if they don't finish it all, or fall asleep before it's gone, it's fine. And they can nurse as long as they want and count it as their entire feed since they are getting so good at it. We usually let them go for about 15-20 minutes, and then give them a bottle, to make sure they are eating enough. But looks like these little chunks are gaining just fine to start a normal eating regimen.

And something else crazy, they are starting to grow out of some of their preemie clothes and are starting to wear newborn sizes. At least A and R. It makes me want to celebrate and cry all at once. But the newborn sizes are still loose, and the preemie sizes are still fitting fine, so I'm going to squeeze them into those cute little clothes as long as possible. It will be fun to save my favorite outfits for each of them to keep and be amazed at later. I'm going to miss those tiny little clothes, but I love that my babies are growing well. It's just happening so fast.

14 comments:

Janice said...

What great progress they are making. This is such good news. We love love love those little faces.

Lili and Jeff said...

They are so very chubby! I can't wait until I can see them all together in one picture, preferably with you holding all of them spilling out of your arms. Ha ha. I am sure you will take millions of those. I can't wait to see those fat ones in December!

Sarah said...

Wish I was there to give those cute faces a kiss.
Mwah. Mwah. Mwah.

Michelle said...

I'm so happy for all their progress! They are beautiful.
For the future, if you ever want to extend the wear time of your kids' onsies, you can buy (or make if you're skilled enough) onsie extenders. It's just a little piece of material with snaps on each end that you just snap onto the onsie, allowing more room. I bought some for Evi when she was just a few months, and we still use them from time to time. They come with a variety of snap sizes so they should fit 'most' onsies! Either way, it's super fun to see babies in adorable little clothes, whatever the size they are!

Jann said...

Great news. They are so sweet. If you need someone to hold babies for you, let me know, I would love to help out. Seriously, thank you for letting me come and hold them. I miss being able to hold a baby and it was great to hold each one of yours.

melody said...

Growing out of the tiny clothes!? Wow. It's so good to hear they are eating to well. I am counting down the days...only two weeks from tomorrow.

Deb said...

wow, look at those chubby cheeks and arms! you're doing an amazing job!

Amber said...

Cute babies! I love seeing those sweet faces. Wish I could love on them!

Unknown said...

oh they are just so cute and we love to see their cute little faces. such good news to be ad lib! oh and those premie clothes the girls only had two outfits wich they would have been able to fit into a lot longer weight wise but they were born 2 and 3 inches too long for them. so after about a week they went to newborn clothes that absolutly drowned them but they lived most of their time in those nightgown thingys(which are so great to have for night time feedings!) but I put the outfits in their keepsake boxes so they can see when they get older the little itty bitty outfits they came home from the hospital in! so fun! I hope you can still have enought time to squeze in some blog time even if they are short and sweet with pictures when you get them home! oh so close Im super excited for you!

Melissa said...

I had the same thing the other day when I went to the NICU. I didn't even notice little Christian's tube was gone until later. It's funny how you get used to stuff like that. Sounds like you are going to have some babies on your hands at home soon. My guy comes home tomorrow. I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Wow! THey look so cute and chubby! I love little baby chubby cheeks. Congrats.

Cami said...

Oh yay!! I love the bare faces! What cuties. Yay for eating well.

Tyler and Sunni said...

They are so little! I am so glad they are healthy and are growing. And by the way you look fabulous too Em!

Dawn said...

good luck with going home, catch sleep where you can. you have to keep their little clothes, i wanted to do a qiult out of all the kids old clothes but didn't keep many i so wish i had