Sunday, January 21, 2007

100 freakin' things!

Fine, everyone keeps asking me, and the longer I wait, the more build up there will be for something that isn't so exciting for anyone besides me. Have fun.

1. I love mornings and can wake up early without a complaint. But staying up late is really hard for me. I will say things I don't mean.

2. I was involved a lot in school politics: Manila Elem. President, Jr. Class President, Student Body Publicity Chair. I really needed extra-curricular activities, since I was never into sports or anything.

3. I don't take a lot of risks. It's too scary for me. I need to get out of my comfort zone more often.

4. I am very grateful for my mom and dad. Every time I have a good childhood memory, I think of how they made it so wonderful. I also love my siblings and I ache for us to be all together again. The one's that live close by are so greatly appreciated. I talk to everyone regularly.

5. I always second guess myself no matter what I'm doing. I failed a lot of tests that way. I do it in other situations too like driving, or shopping. I've learned to go with my first instinct.

6. I teach the CTR class in my ward and am learning a lot more than I thought. I secretly want to be the sacrament or primary chorister. The one we have in primary puts me to sleep.

7. I love doing my hair after a week of putting it up in a wet bun. It reminds me of it's length. It takes longer to blow dry it than it takes me to walk to work, so I give up.

8. I was once proposed to when I showed the cheesecake I made for dessert at a picnic. Not by KC either.

9. KC is so special to me, I can't stand the thought of a life without him. I cherish his ukulele playing even though sometimes when he's playing I complain because I want him to be cuddling with me.

10. I went to USU for one semester where I'm proud to say my best friends were my grandma and grandpa. They are my college buddies. We bonded a lot: games, dinners, food network, which was my other best friend. I watched it for hours a day. Grandpa even set me up with my own little TV and headphones. I loved it.

11. There was a point when I told my mom and sisters I would never, never, never, never EVER like KC. I really tried to get that point across. That changed quickly. Hee hee.

12. I am the younger of the twins, even though I never understood that rule. We'll never know who was actually conceived first. And, whenever people guess, they think I'm older. The funny thing is, they give reasons like I'm taller, or I just seem older. One minute is quite a difference to some people I guess.

13. I love my cowboy boots and will never be able to replace them so they better not wear out.

14. I've worked with people from more countries than I can count including: Honduras, Vietnam, Iran, Iraq, Mexico, France, and Germany, to name a few.

15. I worked at a hotel where I had to wake up at 2:30 am for a whole year. I saw things from the city nightlife I never wanted to. The prostitutes in particular. I had a hard time thinking of anything happy for a while after seeing them. It was so sad.

16. I was single handedly responsible for the dessert portion of a Sunday brunch that was $80 per person. I didn't get paid accordingly.

17. I've been blessed with straight teeth without the help of any braces. I did get a retainer a couple years ago for a recently developed tiny space between my front teeth. I still where it every few days.

18. When the new version of "The Parent Trap" came out, I had so many people tell me that I look like Lindsey Lohan. That continued for a couple years until she changed...a little.

19. I am about 7 1/2 years younger than my husband. When we met, we both thought that was a major factor and cancelled each other out of our dating lists.

20. I like watching 24 alone, or with KC only. Parties ruin it for me. Other shows are usually okay.

21. In the course of two years when my life was changing a lot, I gained and lost about 15+ lbs without changing the way I ate or exercised. Stress has a huge impact on my body.

22. When I was young and my other friends were playing with dolls, I was doing science experiments. I remember the Christmas I told my parents that it's okay if they didn't get me any science stuff this year, when I grew out of it.

23. I wanted to grow up to be a lot of things as a kid. First "a doctor who delivered babies" as I put it, than a hairstylist, than a Chef, with ideas of other professions in between. A mom is my true aspiration.

24. I have always hated having freckles until recently. More people have them than I realized.

25. I am fascinated with the giganticness of whales. I could watch the Animal Planet about them for hours.

26. I have a hard time singing hymns or primary songs without crying. They are so applicable to our lives. Music is an escape to me..

27. I am addicted to chapstick. I need it right now! I have on in my church bag, my purse, my kitchen, my bathroom, and by my bed. All are very important.

28. I'm often cold and when I'm at home I either am wearing slippers or am wrapped up in my electric blanket on the couch.

29. I remember people's faces very well. Names, not as much, but I'll always recognize a face if I see it once or twice.

30. I dated a secret service agent. Sounds cool, but was actually a very traumatic experience.

31. I got stood up more than once by a second generation Osmond fellow. Traumatic as well.

32. I played the flute, and bass clarinet in jr. high. I still have my flute, but the clarinet is long gone. That thing was as big as me. I always wish I played strings.

33. I have a very hard time saying no to people even though I really want to.

34. I hate playing or receiving practical jokes. I even had a dream about the Andy guy on the office where I helped him find his phone in the ceiling. I never take part in such activities.

35. I am extremely ticklish. It gets annoying. I try to make myself believe I'm not, but I can't.

36. I love a clean cut husband, shaved and all. Although, the goatee he had once was kinda cool.

37. I am able to communicate with Spanish speaking customers daily with knowing only a limited amount of words. They know zero English. I even get them to buy my pictures!

38. I've had glasses since 1st grade, but hardly ever wear them. When I do, I am grateful.

39. I want to move to another state in the near future. Maybe Colorado?

40. I can't believe this, but my one year anniversary is less than 2 months away.

41. I want a big fun family like mine, but not too big. I don't know how you did it Mom, but I can't imagine life without any of us, so good thing you did.

42. I never let myself think of eternity. I know it's wonderful, but it scares me so bad. I've had sleepless nights.

43. I've held a pencil wrong my whole life.

44. I pretty much totaled my dad's car when I was 5. I remember every part of that experience.

45. I have a bad habit of wandering. My parents found that out on the beach. I find myself lost a lot on shopping trips or other crowded places. I like to do my own thing.

46. In jr. high, I wanted to be popular so bad, I would paid anything for name brand clothes to fit in. Now I am a complete bargain shopper. I won't buy it if I know I can get a better deal somewhere else. I do have an appreciation for a quality article of clothing though, with or without a name brand. (I just got a great pair of jeans from Costco.)

47. I am trying to stick up for myself more.

48. I have a lot of favorite movies but "Newsies," "That Thing you Do," and "Return to Me"
are always up there.

50. For a few years in my teens, I didn't go a day without painted fingernails or toenails. Now it's just toes. I felt naked without it. Once I didn't have time to do my toes and went to a baseball game. They were covered up, but I felt like my shoes could come off at any minute and expose them! That's a little OCD. I've changes a lot since then.

51. I actually like change. I crave it.

52. I love cooking and eating breakfast foods the most. A good breakfast sandwich, cinnamon rolls, biscuits...mmmm.

53. I think raspberries are a work of art. Most fruits for that matter. Sometimes I'd just look at them before putting them on a tart.

54. I don't like my legs. I like buying a lot of different nylons to cover them up.

55. When I wear blue, someone usually comments on how it matches my eyes no matter what shade.

56. I've always had a problem with jealousy. I wish I could just wish the best for people, instead of wanting what they have.

57. I find that if someone tells a joke, and no one laughs I will a lot so the person doesn't feel bad. This has happened on many occasions.

58. I put myself in other people's shoes in my mind daily. It makes me so grateful for what I have. It makes me sad for them.

59. I wish I read and understood the Book of Mormon better. I am in a class right now to do so. I don't know what I would do with out the gospel. I love the things I learn everyday from the hardships I have. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are so dear to me.

60. I find that a lot of the time in school I would know an answer to a question but didn't raise my hand. Then someone says it and I say to myself "that's what I was gonna say." I wish I would've taken more chances.

61. In my primary class we play Build the Birthday Cake, instead of Hangman. They took it too literally. The cake has five layers, a candle and a flame. Decorations if the word is really long.

62. I have very good self control when it comes to eating.

63. I hate spiders or anything that can crawl into my bed while I'm sleeping. I have sticky traps all over the house.

64. I don't like to read. I wish I did.

65. I never want to yell. When I raise my voice, I feel like my face gets really ugly.

66. I love to sing. I would do more musical numbers if I was asked. I don't like to volunteer for things like that.

67. I've recently discovered the joy if home decor.

68. I wish I would do more service.

69. I have a lot of pet peeves: cluttered surfaces, singing hymns slowly, pre-talk jokes in church, when people don't clean up after themselves, indecisiveness, people wearing pants to church (they do that a lot here), women who sing tenor, when people wear flip-flops with winter coats. I am trying to not have any pet peeves. I feel like they are not Christlike since other people find these things normal for them. Who am I to say it's not okay. I'm working on it.

70. I hate commercials. I have anxiety attacks over them.

71. I like letting other people have their own opinions as I like having mine. I don't try to force anyone into thinking my way is the best way.

72. I dream of having a huge house some day with a big staircase.

73. If I know how to do something, but someone is explaining it to me, I let them think I'm hearing it for the first time. I don't know why I just don't tell them I already know.

74. I could watch our lava lamp for a long time with out getting bored.

75. I lived at my sister Cami's house for a whole year. I can't believe she let me do that. It was really fun and helpful financially. It still feels like home when I go there.

76. My house after that had a pool. It was so cool. I swam laps for a little while.

77. I am a very focused shopper. I like going alone so I can get things done.

78. As much as it was psychologically trying for me, I actually pulled off a surprise party for KC. I still feel like ever thing I say is a lie. My brain needs to get back into truth mode.

79. I think every store bought dessert is over priced.

80. Brushing my teeth and washing my face are very fun for me. I love the feeling of being clean. I even brush my teeth in the shower so I come out clean everywhere.

81. I could watch M. Night Shyamalan movies over and over. He is a genius.

82. I made this list in sacrament meeting. It has gone by very fast.

83. I was planning to stay in Maryland for 8 month to come to culinary school. That has turned into who knows how many years.

84. I was recently assigned to be the assistant camp director in my ward.

85. It's funny that Melody and I are so different and so alike. I wish I could see her more. Someday we will see each other more than twice a year. She is my best friend. I never needed anyone else when we were growing up. It helps to have husbands to distract us while we're apart.

86. A friend from high school and I have been passing a greeting card back and forth for the past 5 years.

87. I've really become better at waiting for things than I used to be. When I wanted something, I wanted it NOW! I am learning that some things take time and patience.

88. I call Jeffy and Ethan poo-poo without even thinking about it, like it's their real name.

89. When I'm taking pictures of babies, I'm often mistaken for a nurse and get asked all kinds of questions. I also witness a circumcision every once in a while. Not by choice. My equipment is in the same room. I never look. Yuck!

90. I was Mary in the Live nativity at the temple. I had a bad attitude and it turned out to be very rewarding. That always happens.

91. I want to go to Ireland someday. It's just sounds pretty there.

92. Our shower curtain is a map of the world and I'm learning a lot. I never realized how much time is wasted in the shower when I could be learning. They should invent more waterproof learning materials.

93. I pack my husbands lunch everyday. He never asks, I just like to use things in a particular order. I also know what we have since I do the shopping.

94. I am a mild germophobe. I keep alcohol wipes to clean off my phone. I feel like I can see dirt even if it's not visible.

95. I like to treat everyone equally. Especially kids. I can't deny one kid a treat if everyone else is getting one. I'm a sucker for a sad child. I think that will change with my own.

96. When I was younger I always wanted to explain myself when I was doing something juvenile. I even knew what adults were thinking when they would hear me and my friends talking teenager-like,"Oh those kids. They'll grow up one of these days." Sometimes I wanted to take the adults aside and say, "I know this all sounds really dumb, but we're in a phase right now." Or, "I don't really care that much about the dance, I just have to let my friends think I do." I wanted to fit in with all age groups.

97. My husband has a great sense of style and I have taken quite a few tips from him.

98. I argue with myself a lot over whether or not I should cut my hair.

99. I love pilates as my form of exercise. It's great for the mind and body.

100. I love being a wife. Being married is just as wonderful or better than I ever thought it would be. I still look at my ring and sigh.

Man, I could write a blog about each and every one of these things. I guess it's a good way to blog 100 things without having to write a lot about each one. It was actually pretty therapeutic. I think I learned a lot about myself. Now I can go get my ever-lovin' chapstick.

14 comments:

mylittlegems said...

Fun to read- yes Growing Families was the company. What kind of hours do you work? I think I put the wrong hours. I will get your email from Cami and email you love sharla

Corinne said...

you are really great. i wish you still lived at cami's - except, i guess i'm glad you married kc. he's great :) maybe if you all just moved closer???

Emily said...

I pretty much work my own hours. About 9-1 depending on how many babies are born. It's cool though. I've made great friends with the nurses, and you can choose when to go in, as long as you get the pictures taken. Email me.

Matt said...

You're one of the good ones Emily.

mylittlegems said...

Emily- you and I have a few things in common :) I will eventually post my 100 things- but you'll have to read it at your own risk. You have a lot of great things going for you!

melody said...

Jonny and I just read and thoroughly enjoyed your list. Wow, Em. I knew most of that stuff about you, but not all! As different as we are, we both know that we have a lot in common - best friends often do. Specifically, I can really relate to #24-27, 39, 46, 57, 82, 99, and 100.

melody said...

PS. I'm a blogger too! rejholecs.blogspot.com

Cami said...

Right. Poo-poo Ethan Turpin. That IS his name, isn't it?? Oh darn.

We LOVED having you here! And it still feels like you're coming home when you come. I like to have someone around that doesn't feel like a visitor.

Also, You need to go to CAA. (Chapstick Addicts Anonymous)

Sarah said...

So what is this list? 100 things you love about yourself or just 100 things about yourself or 100 things people probably don't know about you? what?
It was very fun to read - seems 4 years can change a person quite a bit, but at the same time... you are the same Emily.

Emily said...

Sarah, people I know in the blog world have been doing this "100 things" just about yourself. People may or may not know them, but you really get to know people better when you have to write 100. It can be a stretch. You should try it. I'd love to read.

Lili and Jeff said...

Elamee. I love your 100 things. YOu also should put that you are the most beautiful girl in the world. I say that every time I show someone your picture. Just so you know, I am super jealous of your beautiful hair. I wish I had beautiful hair such as yours. And you are so lucky to have such a wonderful husband. I want to write a 100 things about my siblings. Maybe I will.

Emily said...

Lili, how sweet! I have always been jealous of your beauty just so you know. I'll never have your beautiful long legs. I think all my sisters are pretty. I always jump at the chance to show a picture of all of us.

Janice Graham said...

Mimi, I love your list. I will read it over and over. Call me. Love you, Mom

Amber said...

Mimi-I didn't realize that you were such a big germ-a-phobe. I'll try to have the house in tip top shape when you visit. I also share some of your same pet peeves!