Saturday, January 27, 2007

Who Wants Cake?


For those who don't know the story of my wedding cake, it kind of funny. KC and I got engaged at Christmas and sort of knowing this, I had made a consultation with a cake person in Utah so we could get it all taken care of while we were there. I found the perfect cake on her website and she actually had a model in her living room where we were talking. I wanted it square and on a stand but other than that, this was it. I even based my colors around it. She warned me that it wouldn't be exactly the same, and being in the cake business, I totally understood. She told me if I was really worried, I could just buy the ribbons and it would cost quite a bit less too. I liked this cake and wanted it to be just the same so I trusted her. And I thought since we didn't have to pay anything for Melody's cake, we could splurge a little on mine. This is one of the regrets of my wedding. So everything was worked out. When I walked into the reception room, I looked at the cake and let out a little gasp. Amber looked at me and without me even saying anything, she said, "we can go buy ribbons and make it look better." I just took a breath and said, "it's fine, but I don't know what she was thinking". There have been times in the bakeries that I've worked at that the mothers cry when the tiniest thing is wrong with their one year old's cake, so I thought my reaction was very kind to the woman. I just brushed it off knowing that it wasn't what the wedding was all about. It also helped my sister-in-law who was getting her cake done by the same person two months after me to make sure she was doing everything right. She talked to her over and over making sure all colors were correct. Her cake was exactly what she wanted so at least I could help a little. Besides the colors, the cake was pretty good, it was made very well and they came and boxed it up after the wedding. They meant well.

We also had another open house here in Maryland where we had about 50 or so people show up. I was working with some really great decorators and my boss said she would give me a cake for free. My friend had just started this beautiful butter cream flower decoration and she said she wanted to do it for me. I know she worked so long and so hard, and I think my boss sort of regretted her decision since we were spending so much time on wedding food. The cake turned out stunning and I felt like it made up for anything I thought was less than perfect before. Cami has more of these reception pictures on her 2006 photo link on her blog. Seeing them was the inspiration for this long-winded rant about the silly cake at my reception, but it didn't change the fact that it was the happiest day of my life.

11 comments:

mylittlegems said...

I think both are pretty but I don't know much about cakes. I loved mine- Sara did the decor on it. She does a great job. I had 2 different cakes too- one I loved and one I didn't- so that is how it goes...you looked beautiful though~~

Jonny said...

The cake matches the background of your blog! Emily, thanks again for creating our beautiful cake. You are the master of the culinary arts!

Unknown said...

I think you could have gone back to her with the two pictures you have on your blog here, and asked for a little bit of a rebate on a cake that didn't look like what you expected. And how in the world do you miss the colors on the ribbons when you have one on display and on the website. But, having said that, I think it was a nice cake, so there ya go. And you are right; that's not what the day is all about. You and KC love each other, and we love you two, and the faux pas with the cake just gives us a little something to talk about. Remember the old saying: Crisis plus time equals humor.

Janice Graham said...

I'll always remember what a good sport you were. It was a neat cake except for the colors not matching and I don't think anyone noticed. At least the addooorrabblle mini-pastry buffet on each table was cute. Ha-ha.

Corinne said...

I loved your md reception (when we finally found it!). A fantastic party. You were stunning and the cake was just right for you. A lovely time.

Lili and Jeff said...

mmmmmmmm, cake....

Cami said...

Too bad you weren't married on St. Patrick's Day. Then it would have been perfect! I had a little bit the same experience with my cake. I designed the whole thing, and had it so perfect in my mind. The cake was beautiful, but the flower-lady put the flowers on differently then I had expected. It was still beautiful, just didn't match my vision!

melody said...

I'm sorry that I can't relate with you girls and your unsatisfactory cake stories . . . mine was absolutely perfect! Em, you did handle everything very well that day. Seeing you and KC so happy made it the second happiest day of my life.

erika said...

emoly--
the cake story made me want to hire you to make my cake--can you mail it to me from maryland? no? too bad! Hey i lost your address--can you give it to me again? well i am half way addicted to your blog! so--good work!

Amber said...

I thought you were going to FREAK OUT, but you didn't! When it got darker it was not as bad and it was one of the coolest cakes I have seen! It looks really good in Angie's book. I think she changed the colors a little. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful day!

Emily said...

I forgot to mention that KC's very talented cousin Erin is respoinsible for the beautiful flowers and pears on our cake. I think the flowers really brought it together.