Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I need to wake up my brain!


A while ago KC introduced me to a mind game called Sudoku. If you haven't heard of it, it is played like this:

There is one big square. Inside there are 9 more squares, and 9 smaller squares within each of those. There are several numbers placed in the small squares in no particular order. The object is to fill in every square with numbers 1-9 with out repeating numbers in any column, row, or square.

http://www.dkmsoftware.com/sudoku/index.htm


This is a Sudoku website if you want to give it a try.

For Christmas I bought KC and hand held electronic Sudoku game and I play it more than he does. I started with the beginning levels and have slowly worked my way up. I think I'm getting the hang of it. I have always steered clear of things like this for fear of finding out how much I really don't know. For instance, I have always been afraid of crossword puzzles. Whenever I'd see someone doing one there were automatically put on a higher level then me. I just told people "I don't do those." But now that I have a little confidence in the Sudoku field, I can turn to that part of the newspaper with a little less apprehension. The two puzzles are right next to each other in the paper, so I really feel like I'm facing my fear.

In the airport flying back to Maryland, I went to the overpriced bookstore and bought a book of a variety of games and puzzles (and a regular magazine for when my brain was overstimulated). I really kept busy trying games that made my brain do things it hasn't for a while. My job is very repetitive and I feel like my brain has been on autopilot. I now keep a puzzle book and Sudoku with me at all times for when I have a few minutes to spare. I suppose I could read more books, but I have never liked to read. It's kindof embarrasing, but I find it very hard to stay focused. When I do get to the exciting part of a novel, which is rare, I really enjoy it and can understand what people like so much about this spare time activity. But it's starting a book that is the hard part. I have the time and resources (you saw Cami's book list on her blog I'm sure), just no desire. Maybe the puzzles will help with the concentration and patience it takes to read more. There are so many great books, I've heard, and I don't want to be left out.

Let me know how you did on your Sudoku puzzle. Pick any level. I'm sure some of you are already experts.

6 comments:

Cami said...

I'm scared . . . . OK, I'll give it a try. To each his own, eh?

Oh, and Emily, I really didn't start reading a lot until I was 23 or so, so don't worry. It takes some time. If you're ready to start reading a lot, you will! It should always be for fun. I think these puzzles are great!

melody said...

I have been wanting to try out Sudoku. I am a crossword puzzle lover-but that is not because I am necessarily good at them! A few years ago Jonny and I would religiously do the NYTimes Monday and Tuesday puzzles (they get progressively harder throughout the week). When we had exhausted our own brains, we called Mom, Dad, and Drew for help. We posted the completed puzzles in my apartment! It was quite the wall of fame. (Okay, so we only had 5 or 6, but that's a start!)

Oh, and here's a big difference between Jonny and me. He does the crossword in ink. I stick with the noncommital lead!

melody said...

Oh, not that typos are a huge deal, but I meant "led!"

Unknown said...

Wow, Emily. I am impressed with your facing your fears like that. I have never steered away from crosswords, but haven't tried sudoku. I guess I will have to give it a shot. You must have inherited this new brain-stimulating desire and activities from GPa Scott. As we all know, he has been doing those puzzles for years, and he and GMa Julie are lately big into sudoku. You're just a chip of their blocks.

Unknown said...

oh, and Melody, "lead" is the proper word for that stuff in the middle of a pencil.

mylittlegems said...

Emily - my mom gave everyone a great big poster of these as part of a Christmas present. I have been doing them for a while- I get them from magazines and the newspaper- it is really fun and it is great to workout your brain. Sharla