Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sleeping on a Cloud


We have been debating whether or not to get a new mattress since we got married. The one we have is fine and was graciously given to me by Cami and Jake. We even have the pineapple bed that's been used through the ages by my family. I love that I'm taking part in that. Anyway, we were getting tired of this mattress even with the cool textured foam pad I bought for it a while ago. KC's mom had mentioned before that his little sister bought a mattress topper for her dorm room bed(we all know how comfy those are) and I thought that was the answer. I wake up with a soar back and/or neck every once in a while and I thought maybe KC was right in the new mattress idea. So instead of purchasing an expensive mattress just yet, we bought the mattress topper from Costco that my mother-in-law had mentioned. It is a 2 1/2 inch memory foam pad and a microfiber down-like pillow top pad you put on top of the other. They zip together and are attached to the mattress like a fitted sheet. It took a whole day for the memory foam to recover from being vacuum packed for shipping. Ever since I put my bed together, I can't get out of it. It's worth every penny if you are in the same mattress situation as we are. It's a little taller too, so I stumbled a little getting out of bed the first couple times. I think it has also cured me of not being able to sleep in because I've been waking up at about 7:00 every day this week. I'd better get up and get ready for work, but I'm all memory foamed in.

Just a note. Cami was great and finished the quilt that was started at my wedding shower. With the help of Matt creatively making a quilting frame out of stuff he practically got for free, and Cami buying everything else, we have our cute hibiscus flower quilt on our bed. It gets pretty cold in our basement so any extra blanket is greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

Hannah said...

That sounds wonderful!! I wish I had trouble sleeping so I would have an excuse to buy it, but I have no problem with sleep. Maybe I will make that my valentine's wish.

Matt said...

Hooray for the new quilt and topper. If it's from the Costcos, you can't go wrong, right?

mylittlegems said...

Sweet Dreams- cute bed- someday we'll get a bed frame somewhere-sometime... :)

Cami said...

Awesome! I'm glad you're finding a way to make that old mattress work. It was the only piece of furniture Jake and I bought when we got married and were completely broke, so I know it's not the best. But I LOVE mattress toppers! 2 and 1/2 inches sounds great! The quilt looks cute there too.

Unknown said...

So, that's where that pineapple bed is, eh? Been wondering about that. Not. I haven't tried memory foam yet, but maybe someday we will check into a hotel that has it. I am glad you who live in the far away lands have each other to hang out with and help. Nice of Matt to make the frame and Cami to finish the quilt.

Lili and Jeff said...

JEALOUS!!!!! I want one of those SOOOOOO bad. I actually have 3 eggshells on my bed right now. It is quite delightful, but NOTHING beats the memory foam....

stacia said...

Cousin Em! I have the same mattress pad and LOVE it! we bought it about 6 or so months ago at the grand ole costco ...it is heavenly and yes, I can hardly get out of bed in the morning and look forward to getting back in all day long! Love your blog!!