Friday, January 26, 2007

"Famous" Recipe

So I'm on a couple message boards and they have recipe days. I never post, I just read. So today I found this message that someone sent and I thought it was hilarious. Everyone thinks their recipe is the best, and no one will ever figure it out or make anything like it. It's so funny what you find out behind the scenes of the restaurant business. Although this recipe is online of course, so I don't know how true this story is. Anyway, try it and tell me what you think. I think I'll make right now. Seem like a nice thing to do on such a cold day. She wrote:

A little background: Neiman-Marcus, if you don't know already, is a
very expensive store; i.e., they sell your typical $8.00 T-shirt for
$50.00.

Let's let them have it! THIS IS A TRUE STORY!

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a Neiman-Marcus Cafe in
Dallas , and we decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are
such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus cookie."

It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe, and
the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not, but you can buy
the recipe."

Well, I asked how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty. It's a
great deal!" I agreed to that, and told her to just add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement, and
the Neiman-Marcus <>charge was $285.00! I looked again, and I remembered
I had only spent
$9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the
bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie
Recipe-$250. 00". That was outrageous!

I called Neiman's Accounting Department and told them the waitress said
it was " two fifty ", which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty
dollars" by any reasonable interpretation of the phrase.

Neiman-Marcus refused to budge.

They would not refund my money because, according to them, "What the
waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the
recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money at this point." I
explained to the Accounting Department lady the criminal statutes which
govern fraud in the state of Texas . I threatened to report them to the
Better
Business Bureau and the Texas Attorney General's office for
engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want. Don't bother
thinking of how you can get even, and don't bother trying to get any of
your money back."

I just said, Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have
$250 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it that every
cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250
cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus. .for free. She replied, "I wish you
wouldn't do this."

I said, "Well, perhaps you should have thought of that before you
ripped me off!" and slammed down the phone.

So here it is!

Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think
of. I paid $250 for this, and I don't want Neiman-Marcus to EVER make
another penny off of this recipe!


NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES

2 cups butter
24 oz. chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
5 cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)


Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the
butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour,
oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey
Bar, and nuts. Roll into balls, and place two inches apart on a cookie
sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

PLEASE READ THE RECIPE AND SEND IT TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW WHO HAS AN
E-MAIL ADDRESS! THIS IS REALLY TERRIFIC!!

Even if the people on your e-mail list don't eat sweets, send it
to them and ask them to pass it on.
Let's make sure we get these ladies $250.00 worth.
Enjoy the cookies, they are good..

9 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, I am going to try this recipe. I bet they are yummy. So, how did yours turn out. That story would have been a perfect case for small claims court. The "reasonable man" principle would have rendered the case in favor of the overcharged lady, I betcha. When dealing with the waitress she gives prices such as four ninety five, and we understand the sandwich is $4.95. When she said two fifty, any reasonalble person would have interpreted it as $2.50. They should have apologized and refunded $247.50.

Emily said...

They are very good. Aren't as pretty as a regular old Choc. Chip, but very tasty. I used up a couple bags of different chips like white and dark swirl, and peanut butter. I only had one bite of one and it was enough. They're pretty rich. Enjoy!

Corinne said...

I got this recipe from a friend a year or two ago - I think they are really good. That blended up oatmeal adds a great texture

Cami said...

Emily, remember when we made this dough and put it in the freezer. It made some good frozen eatin before it ever got cooked!

Matt said...

Dibs on a D.O.C. one of these. ;)

Emily said...

Cami, I thought these might've been the sames ones but I can't possibly remember all the recipes I've done. Yeah, it makes good dough.

D.O.C. for anyone who might not know is KC's favorite way of eating most desserts: day old, cold. He's come up with that phrase and uses it regularly.

Lili and Jeff said...

Delish. Though I find it hard to believe such stories... I think it is someone just messin' ya know? I hope dad DOES make those cookies, and I get to eat them.

mylittlegems said...

I've been making these cookies for years and they are yummy...except I changed the name of them :)

Janice Graham said...

Oh My Gosh. That's a crazy story which I tend to believe is true. I love your blog Emily.