Friday, January 12, 2007

I think I've still got it

I have been a regular babysitter for a great woman in my neighborhood. She has a cute one year old boy. I only actually spent time with him a couple different days. The rest of the babysitting consisted of me coming over after he was asleep and watching TV, playing Sudoku, giant journaling, regular journaling, or watching movies with KC. He usually came with me since he and I both wanted company. That occurred about 4 times a month or so. But this past week, I went over a lot since they are socialites and had many friends throwing farewell dinners. I really got to know them. She found out I was a pastry chef and started asking questions. I gave her an idea of what to make for a party and she made an Apple Frangipane Tart. It was a very good first attempt. In school and the shops I worked in, frangipane was a staple. It's a very dense almond cake batter that is baked in the bottom of a lot of fruit tarts. You might've even eaten it without knowing. It is so good. I know a certain Cami that can attest. So, KC and I wanted to give them a going away token. I made her a Mango Caramel Frangipane Tart. I knew she loved mangoes and I wanted to show her something else she could do with frangipane since she also loved that. She was so excited she could hardly talk. She ended up taking it to her cocktail party and came back with a clean platter. I'd much rather many people enjoy it than just two. Anyway, it was such a fun project and it's good to know I can still whip up an elegant dessert even though I'm not getting the daily training I used to. The missionaries also got this for dessert when they came for dinner, sesrved with ice cream. If you want the recipe, let me know.

8 comments:

Cami said...

Yes, I will attest. That is dang good stuff. EM! That is BEAUTIFUL!

Also, Jake says, "I want to have a birthday, RIGHT NOW!" (just for the "Emily dessert")

Corinne said...

THAT is ART

Unknown said...

Yummy looking. I only wish I could have some. Can't wait to visit out there in Maryland and enjoy your company and spirit.

Amber said...

I don't know how you do it! My kids favorite fruit is mango, so I should probably learn how to make that. How the heck do you make it look like a flower?

Janice Graham said...

I can't believe you can arrange those mangoes like that. So pretty. Emily, you are pretty amazing.

Matt said...

Oh, you've got it. I broke my fast with some lime-licious cake today. Mmm hmm..

Sarah said...

yes, you definetly still got it. It's beautiful. And sounds so oummy... you know how I love mangoes!

Hannah said...

Holy Cow, Emily!!!!! That is so GORGEOUS! I totally want the recipe, but I dont know if I would ever attempt the mango rose. You rock.