Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dance Party

Some friends of ours are in a 10 week ballroom dance programs at their city dance hall. This week was a dance party and they were allowed to bring friends so she invited us to come. I really didn't know what to expect, she just said wear a skirt. I was thinking that I just wanted to be comfortable, so I wore a long khaki skirt, and my mary jane shoes. Little did I know how wrong of choices these would be, even just for a two hour dance party. It turned out to be a mini lesson on the Waltz, Fox Trot, Quick Step, Tango, and a couple others. KC took some classes at BYU so he was surprisingly good and taught me a lot. If I was wearing danceable shoes, and a movable skirt I would have been able to learn a lot more. We had to switch partners a couple times. There were only about 10 of us there, so there wasn't much to switch with. I think if you have a husband, you get to keep him as your partner. One man really went by that and wouldn't dance at all if it was a switching partner song. Once I even danced with the small, Asian instructor, with a lovely comb over. He was quiet, but very descriptive and very entertaining, to me anyway. Sometimes I caught myself laughing when there clearly wasn't any joke. I just found his descriptions and they way he said them very amusing.

It was a pretty fun night and I think KC was even in the beginning stages of the flu, so hopefully everyone in the class doesn't come out with it. I think we need to start seeking these funny yet fulfilling types of classes out. Some people just know how to keep ever night of their lives occupied with things like this. Though I wouldn't want to do that (24 and The Office nights are very important) an extracurricular activity every once in a while might do us some good. Any ideas? I think a painting class or pottery class would be fun. Maybe I'll search them out. I don't know how KC would feel about that. Maybe I'm on my own with this idea.

4 comments:

Cami said...

A couples massage class might spark his interest! I am always wanting Jake to take one of those with me. But oh, dancing WOULD be fun.

Emily said...

Hmmm... good idea. Or just a massage for me will do.

Corinne said...

How fun! I think Clint would love to do something like that with me. Someday...

Janice Graham said...

Dancing?? How divine! I had a dance class in college that I just up and quit going to because this one sort of scary guy kept seeking me out. But I love to dance with my one and only in the kitchen! Especially in the old days dancing was more social and people changed partners all the time.