Saturday, February 03, 2007

De-cluttered...somewhat

We just finished two hours of cleaning out our storage room. It has been my goal to never have things in my house that I never use so I need to frequently clean things out to meet that goal. Things have gotten piled up in this first year of marriage and I thought it was time for a clean sweep. I can only imagine how many things can accumulate after years of this. It has become an impossible tasks to get rid of everything we don't use since some things have sentimental value. How long to we have to keep these things before we really don't care about them anymore? I feel like they are still cluttering up the place. I am really good at throwing things away and actual enjoy it. When I hear of people that hoard things and it takes over their house, I practically have and anxiety attack for them. I think I have decided that it's okay to store a few things that I'll never use again as long as it's not taking up valuable storage space for useful items. I am patiently awaiting my Space Bags to arrive. I ordered them online and I have piles of things ready to be vacuum sealed for much more storage space. As soon as that is taken care of, I will really feel that sense of accomplishment that comes with cleaning and organizing a very cluttered area.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Nice work. I have a hard time chucking things too, but Cortnie is curing me of that. Moving will do it too. After our last move, I don't mind throwing away almost anything, as long as I don't have to move it!

Let me know how you like the space bags. I think they're bom.

melody said...

I plan on cleaning out as if I were moving out at least once a year. When Mom and I were preparing for the Missouri move, we threw a TON of stuff away. I don't think she has missed any of it. It is a great feeling to declutter your house and your life. Congrats!

Cami said...

Good job. I want space bags! Those kiddie clothes just take up SO much space!

Corinne said...

It's so funny - I was planning on doing a post on this today too!! We went through our front hall closet today and got rid of bags full of stuff we just do not use. Feels SO GOOD!

Sarah said...

I also love to declutter! I think I might even have a problem -- sometimes throwing away things and needing them later. I get this from my mom - she is the same way. And ironically, my dad is a pack-rat.

Janice Graham said...

I love this saying: Have nothing in your house that isn't either useful or beautiful. Or something like that. Good job Mimi, let me know if those space bags work!

Amber said...

Let me know if you really can put a pillow in the space bag and after 6 months it will fluff back up like the commercial says-then I will be a believer! I tend to be obsessed with rubbermaids of all sizes and colors!