Thursday, May 10, 2007

Never a worse musical number

We were asked a few days ago to sing at an annual ward function, that took place last night, where ward members (mostly kids) are encouraged to invite their teachers to an nice dinner to show how much they are appreciated. The theme this year was Heroes. So of course, they wanted us to sing Never a Better Hero, by Kenneth Cope. All I have to say about that song, and most other songs of his (sorry any of you Kenneth Cope die hard fans out there) is yuck. I don't like his style at all, and KC more than agrees with me (even though they do have the same initials). It's weird to sing in a duet as well since they tried to take a song that was sung by a man who clearly likes to stylize every line differently, and put it on paper with all kinds of weird syncopation, to recreate the way he sings it on the cd. KC sings like an engineer, right on the note, and right on the beat, so obviously this type of music isn't for him. I can adapt to this kind of music, except I woke up with a very itchy, coughy, and raspy voice. It got progressively worse throughout the day and I felt very blessed when I actually hit and held the 6 beats of the high D that was required of me(not hard for me normally but a stretch under the conditions). Today, I wouldn't even try. The whole thing was comical to us, from the choice of song, to KC trying to add three notes into one beat, and me praying to hit my notes by my sporadic loss of voice. We drove home saying "worst musical number ever!" We don't mind singing for a crowd, in fact we've been successful before, as long as we choose the song or it's one that suites us. I wonder when all those stereotypical Mormon music will go out of style once and for all. They have come out with better music in the last few years, so why do we always have to resort back to the songs from the 80s. Oh well, the message was there, and we were only there to serve. Our job was done. I'm probably making it sound worse than it really was, but we all know what are personal best was, and that was not ours. Now If I can just get rid of this annoying cough.

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Emily...you need to start posting recipes for the pictures on your website! I always want to make the stuff you are making. Whats the spicy mac and cheese recipe?

Emily said...

Hannah, this a recipe we found online a long time ago and still love it. Here it is straight from Food Network.com:

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.


Emily again. I used a combination of pepper jack, mozzarella, and cheddar cheeses. I also added spinach, ham and bread crumbs for a little texture. And I ususally don't use elbow macaroni because I like whole wheat pasta. This is probably why I never post the recipes. I usually don't use a recipe, or when I do I've changed it so much it's hard to remember what was added. This one is pretty simple so I hope you like it.

Cami said...

ugh! Sorry about your cold and musical number. Sheesh! What's with telling you what to sing anyway?? You should have just hummed the theme-ish tune to the show Heroes instead.

Sarah said...

I totally agree with you about the 80/90s church music. Let's get over with it and move on to the new day. It is too cheesy and sounds the same.

sara said...

hi emily, this is your cousin sara. your blog is super cute! you make me hungry!!!!

Matt said...

Emily: I don't know what to say. I am sorry. Man, I was hoping never to hear that song again in my life, and you had to sing it!?

You're both good sports.

melody said...

Well, you did it and now it is done. Good job! I would love to hear you and KC sing together some day - a song of your own choosing, naturally.

Unknown said...

Yeah, when it comes to LDS music, the only thing worse than formulaic music is someone trying SO hard to be creative and original that what comes out is just a mess. Then, if they happen to be well-known, everyone clasps their hands under their chins and proclaims it to be a "very important work."