Thursday, May 03, 2007

Happy Bithday Ethan!

Well as my gift for most birthdays, I make the cake unless other arrangements have been made for one. I like these opportunities to try something new, or make an old fave. I usually ask the birthday person what their favorite dessert is (a birthday treat doesn't always have to be cake) or in Ethan's case, where the child won't even partake of it, I make something I think the adults will appreciate. Don't worry, the kids got cupcakes that Cami made, which they thought were much more appealing. I was planning on making a peach, caramel pecan cheesecake (an idea I thought sounded good for some reason) and with two unsuccessful trips to the store to find any fresh peaches, I settled on the pineapple. So it was a pineapple, strawberry, cheesecake with a lime syrup to make the fruit flavors stand out a little more. Of course, I want to make it again right away to fix all the things that didn't go right (I always feel this way about anything I make. A curse of the culinary mind.) But I think we've had enough cheesecake, until the peaches come back in season or course. Ethan was patient to sit down again for us to sing "habby booday" as he says it, again even though I think he was much more excited about the initial singing. He was so cute, and I can't believe he's FOUR! These kids have really grown up since I moved here. Man, when I came, he was scooting on his bum with a big cast on his leg. We can't help but giggle at whatever he says, or even at all of his different expressions on his face in all the pictures we take of him. I can't wait to see how he make us laugh next. Maybe someday he'll be requesting a cheesecake for his birthday and actually eat it. I don't know if I'll be around here by then.

3 comments:

melody said...

I'm sure the cake was delicious. That is a darling picture and I would frame it pronto!

mylittlegems said...

Very cute photo!!

Cami said...

Awesome post. It's about time someone ELSE wrote about Ethan's cuteness . .. :) It was a fabulous cake, and Ethan can never sing to himself enough, so he was very happy to do it again.