Sunday, September 16, 2007

My kitchen essentials

We all have them, and with that party I catered fresh in my kind, there are some things I couldn't have lived with out for the preparation of that, or everyday baking for that matter. Here is my list:

Bench scraper--great for cutting bar cookies, portioning dough, scraping counters, and many other countless uses.Blow torch--the smaller more domestic versions of this great tool are most commonly sold for creme brulee, but I'm a fan of the big one. I have used it for meringue/baked Alaska, heating a knife to make a smooth cut, or caramelizing fruit garnishes, etc. I am very happy about this new purchase I've made. It has been an essential part of the kitchens I've worked in, and now it's in mine.
Cardboard cake circles--not only are these perfect for decorating desserts on before you transfer them to the final platter, but they make it easy to stack things to conserve space in the fridge. I need to always have these on hand.Parchment paper--we all love the function this have of making clean-up a breeze, but there are also many uses to it.Silicone baking mat--Man, I love this thing. Hardly anything sticks to it. I use it for everything from baking cookies, to caramelized sugar work.KitchenAid stand mixer--Of course!Off set spatula--This makes decorating and icing cakes so simple. It helps you stay in control.Apple peeler, corer, slicer--I don't use this very often, but when I want it, I'm glad I have it. Thanks to my mother-in-law giving me a Pampered Chef wedding shower, I got a ton of great kitchen gadgets.Cake turn table--It makes icing, cutting, and decorating a piece of cake. Ha!
Bowl scarper--a clean bowl in one fell swoop. Everyone should have one of these.
Many Silicone Spatulas--I hate running out of these, so I keep several with in an arms reach.
Powdered sugar shaker--A dusting of powdered sugar adds elegance to any dessert. Also great for cocoa powder dusting.Oh I better stop now. I could go on all day. And all these are revolved mostly around desserts. If I were talking about cooking, the list would be completely different. And I'm sure the list will grow over the years.

9 comments:

mylittlegems said...

talk about a dream kitchen~ I don't think I own one of those things except the rubber scrapers- yes i don't even have a mixer-sad but true.

Cami said...

Some of those things I would never have a use for, and others I am saying, "Hey! Why don't I have that!" Ah well, we can't all have your kitchen collection and less know what to do with it!

Janice Graham said...

I only have three of those. I would like a few more. I told Grandmother about this post and she had most all of them!!

Amber said...

Great, I only have 4 of those items...We just learned how to make crem brule (or whatever) at Enrichment, so now I need a torch! I think the most essential of all is the kitchen aid. Grandma and grandpa gave me a Bosch mixer for my wedding and it is still going strong. I know I would never make bread, cookies, or mashed potatoes etc. without it! It also has a blender attachment. I have probably used it everyday for the last 12 1/2 years!

Sarah said...

Those are some amazing tools. But I think I will leave some of those things to the professionals. Not all of us cook as fancy as you! :) We just wish we could.

Unknown said...

I used many of those things when I was at Winchell's Donuts. Mixer, bench scraper, rubber scraper, etc. All you mention are very handy, for sure.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my counter scraper! Thank you! Next on the list . . . the kitchenaid!

Why, oh why can't I get my ID to come up on your blog? It comes up on my sister-in-law's. Erg. And it's cute too! Ok - it's me, Tracie and I'm having fun keeping up with you! I think I finally have a name for my blog, so now I only have to get my camera fixed so I can start it! (Arin dropped it - um, threw it, and it won't download anymore. . . )

Tracie Frost

sara said...

wow! what a great list! I have to know where you got your bench scraper. We have been looking for one since we got married b/c Richie's mom has one but he won't be satisfied with any old 'plastic scraper' :)

Susan said...

Because I agree with you so much about everything that I have from this list I think I'll have to put the few other things I don't have on my "to buy" list. But that blow torch is a little intimidating looking! (But Tom loves creme brulee...)

One questions about the silicone baking sheet. I bought a costco silicon baking set and it smells funny and tastes funny when I cook with it. Does that go away with time or maybe this was a bad or too early set? (I bought it at least 2 years ago, maybe more)