Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sentimental value

I find that I have a story about everything in my life. All the items I own have some significant meaning behind them. Even if it's just that I had never done something before and I wanted to give it a try. That's a story to me. Any time anyone comments on a picture on the wall, the earrings I'm wearing, or a piece of furniture, I feel like I need to give the whole story on why we bought it, what we were going to do otherwise, where I got it, or who I got it from. I love reliving the times that made me happy I guess. When KC and I bought our first couch together. I love telling that. Or that my landlord bought me these earrings that I always wear and they happen to be my birthstone and she didn't even know. She gave them to me for dog sitting. Or the periodic table of desserts I have on my wall. I saw it the first time I toured my culinary school and I had to have it. People don't usually care about these stories, yet I insist on giving all these details about normal everyday things. I think this is all coming to the surface as I sort through my pictures. I love looking at picture of things I've made, mostly because of the occasion and memories they represent. I think it's good for everything in your life to be valuable. That means you are spending your money and time doing the right things.

7 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

But I love those types of stories! It is cute that you have such memories. It makes your little apartment so much more of a home. I always enjoy it when people have interesting stores to share.

Woods said...

I love hearing all the details. I think everything you talk or write about is so interesting. It definitely keeps my interest, and I keep coming back for more.

Janice Graham said...

I heard this:Never have anything in your house that you do not consider to be useful or beautiful (or meaningful).

mylittlegems said...

So Emily, I have to agree with "Sentimental Value" - that is like just about everything in our house! I have things in almost every room from Grandma Julie, Grandma Ellsworth, etc. People might think I have wierd decorative taste- but to me, I try to make everything surrounding me meaningful- which makes it beautiful to me!

Cami said...

I do that same thing. Today I resisted telling people where I got my necklace as they complimented it, until one person actually asked! I got it in an outdoor market booth in New York when we went to see Tarzan. See now? Isn't that a funish story? Anywho, I always talk too much. But I find the things you say, and all your pictures and food, to be interesting.

Matt said...

Your stories are fun. I think we get that from Dad. He likes to have little stuff around, and definitely have stories. I get in troubles sometimes for having too much stuff, with too many stories.

Funny though... I was thinking about all the stuff in my "trunks." I have so much little stuff from as far back as grade school. When I get it out now though, I'm starting to forget it's significance. Maybe it's time to let those ones go eh?

Unknown said...

I'm glad you have memories and can spend some time with them, while you're busy making new ones that you will reflect on in the future.