Sunday, September 30, 2007

Last weekend...

...something pretty significant happened. We actually got rid of my first paid for and owned all by myself, car. A while ago we took it to get the emissions checked since it was time to do so. They gave us a list of what needed to be fixed so one morning we took in to a place, gave them a list and they told us our best bet was to cut ties with the car. I was a little taken off guard. This car has had it quirks from the moment I (my dad actually, but I paid him back in full) purchased it. But it still ran and by all means didn't seem like it should head for the junk yard. The idea really annoyed me at that moment. Going from finally taking your car to get fixed, to knowing it will never be. We could have done the work required but it was going to cost about as much as what I paid for the car 4 years ago. So the more I got used to the idea to more I was happy at the prospect of a new car and not dealing with the annoyances of the good one. It has taken me so many places not to mention driving me all the way from Utah to good old Maryland. I drove it to DC 5 days a week for a year, and other places in between. It has been a good car while it has lasted. We weren't sure to scrap it or try to sell it for parts since anyone who wanted to buy it to drive would get ripped off with us knowing they'd have to fork over a lot of money to actually drive it legally. Not to mention the dent in the drivers side door, making it impossible to open the back door unless it is open, and the passengers side back door, unable to be opened at all because of this: During the time we were deciding what to do with it, I got in a mini accident a while ago that actually gave us more money than we had anticipated it selling more, so we were content with just scraping it. And that is exactly what we did. All those memories were exchanged for $125.00 cash. It's nice to finally have it out of our way. I think the relief overcomes any sadness. Temporal things come and go. We must get on with our lives. We eventually found a replacement and are very happy with it. There's just something about my first owned car that will remain with me.This picture was taken the moment my dad and I drove up to Cami's house in Maryland. So much has changed since then.

9 comments:

Matt said...

RIP White Taurus. We will miss you, and so will Hawthorne Drive.

Janice Graham said...

True. All things come to pass. That seemed to be a really good deal and car. I was grateful for it because of all that scary driving you had to do all over DC when you were but NINETEEN! GEESH!

Sarah said...

Well, congrats on the new exchange. We did that about a month ago. There were lots of memories too, but I don't think I was as sad as you were. :)

Amber said...

I'm glad you have a picture. We have a pic. of Todd's yellow CRX and my silver Subaru from the old days. It's fun to remember the good times with the old cars!

Cami said...

Ah yes. The first car. Mine was the geo spectrum. A fine car indeed. I always love an upgrade!

Matt said...

I remember your car too-once we changed the flat tire together...I will miss it too.
ps...that french toast turkey sandwich looks awesome!

Cortnie

Amber said...

Oh that is a fun memory. Wow and did you ever dream your life would change so much when you came to Maryland!! So glad you did.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I have been there with my first car. Your attitude is a good one. All things must pass, even though the good old Taurus. It was a nice trip you and I took that time. Kentucky was pretty and West Virginia was gorgeous. We'll miss you, ole taurus.

Lili and Jeff said...

Oh man, that was the car I learned how to drive in! Also the van. But that WAS an awesome car! Ten disk CD changer in the back, that door that wouldn't open unless the front door was open as well. And I think it was YOU who taught me how to drive in that car as well. Thanks ever so. Your car shall be missed.