Friday, September 14, 2007

Oh, what to do!

My doctor finally gave me the okay to get my tonsils out. It is to be scheduled at my earliest convenience. I thought this would be a day to be glad about, to finally get these ever-loving disgusting, infecting tonsils out of my throat. In the past couple of years I have had several bouts of strep throat and tonsillitis. My tonsils are now all mangled and are usually hurting on a daily basis. Not to the point of a soar throat all the time, but enough for me to notice and pray that it doesn't turn into something worse. I hate hate hate have throat infections. I know no one does, but the things that occur... I won't even gross you out with the details of my lovely times with tonsillitis. Let's just say it's not pretty. Anyhow, I have been putting off seeing an ENT for a while, but I thought now it was time to break down and live up to my word. That I want them out and will beg to get this done. I actually didn't have to beg. In fact, the doc said it was the best thing to do. I had been told earlier that this procedure was not done as commonly as it has in the past and you have to have more frequent and consistent infections for them to consider you for this surgery. It was almost too easy and now I'm second guessing. I feel like I'm signing my life away, like I'm deciding to go through all the pain when I can just decide not to do it. And I heard it is painful and the recovery is no picnic! Anywhere else but my throat, I could live without for two weeks, but the thing that allows you to talk, eat, even swallow and breath. I just don't know. Whenever I have strep I just can't wait for the day that I can swallow without bracing myself before I do so. This is something I have to walk right into. Wow, I'm sounding really wimpy right now, but I feel like I have a big decision to make. Yeah, people do this everyday so I shouldn't really complain and just be grateful to have the opportunity to improve my health. Anybody that had gone through this, words or encouragement, not horrific pain stories, are appreciated.

10 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

I say go for it! That would be wonderful to stop those horrid sore throats and strep! That is horrible to live with that. Also, I heard getting tonsils out stops snoring as well! Which would be loverly for people like me! i would totally jump at the opportunity to get tonsils out. So I say go for it.

Cluff Family said...

Courtney had her tonsils out, and it was a breeze, I know they say it is more difficult for adults, but she was up and around the very next day. Her only advice.....don't eat ketchup until your throat is completly healed! This is probably true for all tomato based foods. Be Brave, like the dentist, just make an appointment, and go for it!

Janice Graham said...

I think maybe you will grow out of it. This surgery is just so painful for adults. And I am still spooked from Jackson's ordeal. But I know how you suffer. Maybe the bouts will lessen. But if you decide to do it, I'll be there to nurse you through. Love, Mom

Sarah said...

So, maybe the recovery is a little worse than when they do it for kids - but I have seen bad and good recoveries. The trick is to push yourself - like with anything - and drink drink drink as much as you can after. The surgery will be worth it. Like most surgeries, it will make you better. You can have a couple days of pain or years and years of sore throats, infections, strep throats. Seems like a no-brainer to me. But then again, I am in the medical profession... but doesn't that tell you something maybe too? That I have seen it a bunch and would do it in a heart beat?

Janice said...

I found this post on a message board about adult tonsillectomies. It gives details of what to expect, what to have on hand, and what your caretaker should know.
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=490161

Janice said...

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/
showthread.php?t=490161

You'll have to paste it in your browser with out a space. It was too long for the comment.

melody said...

I know nearly nothing about tonsils, but I know that you are a brave girl. It sounds like the recovery could be painful and very annoying, but isn't your current situation such?! Good luck in your decision process - that's not an easy one.

Woods said...

Hard decision, but only you know what is best. If I could give you some advice I would say to do it so you don't have to worry about those miserable sore throats. I think if your tonsils are bugging you every day that is a good enough reason to get them taken care of. I am so sorry, that is such a hard thing.

Kirsten said...

I was 29 when I had my tonsils out...I was off work for 2 weeks...just take it easy...lots of rest and do everything that your doctor tells you. You will be fine...I know you don't know me...but I stumbled on your blog. Good Luck!

scott said...

Yummy - stuffed red peppers, etc. Fun to see what's cookin'. Your kitchen utensils were imaginative and helful. gr, Julie