Saturday, July 11, 2009

Adios IVF meds!

After our final and successful IVf cycle, we were left with SO many extra medications. In cycles past, my body didn't respond to the lower doses, so we had to use a lot to get my hormones where they wanted them to be. So, my doctor, after he had learned what he thought I needed, ordered accordingly. But for some reason during this last one, my body needed a lot less medication to produce the desired result, leaving us with mentioned extras. So, as I've been cleaning and organizing, I filled a huge back full of our used sharps container filled with those wretched needles, hundreds of unused needles and syringes, and several boxes of unopened meds. A couple days ago, I finally took them to my clinic for others who are in need of some emergency extra meds like we have needed in the past. They have had some on hand to give us in a pinch, so I am glad to be able to pay it forward.


We were so lucky to have some coverage on medications. It was only about $30 per box (which we used about 10 or something per cycle), whereas if you aren't covered, it can be anywhere from $500-$1000 per box. I always felt so bad when I thought of those that weren't covered and had to use so many boxes like we had to sometimes. I think We would've spent another $15,000 without this coverage. So even though procedures weren't covered, meds were, and that as a huge help. So, if my leftovers can help someone save a couple thousand bucks, I would be very happy.


It is strange though, after seeing those things in my house for over a year and a half, it just seemed like part of the decor or something. And now it's just vanished, as if it was never there. I had my own little pharmacy. I even used one of those door organizer pocket things filled with needles, alcohol swabs, bottles of meds, and band aids to make my life easier. It was just our life, and now it's gone. Not that I'm sad about it or anything, it's just a huge milestone. But I am more than ecstatic to replace those spaces with pacifiers, bibs, and tiny socks instead. Sounds like a great trade-off. Out with the old, in with the new.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

wow, who knew you needed all those meds, i can't imagine having to work so hard for what we took for granted. You have quite a little tum there, i am so jealous of you 3 in one go you lucky girl : )

Unknown said...

indeed, much better replacements. I don't know a person in the world that wouldn't trade needles for tiny socks!

Cami said...

I'm GLAD those things are out of your life. YAY! Shots are no fun.

Susan said...

Yay! Must be nice to say goodbye to that era! (Even if the new era is a little intimidating!)